• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Backstory of Our Dogs

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol, my background is based in Physical Therapy (chronic pain treatment for 30 years) and I’ve always said that my Whippet is effortlessly graceful, no matter what she is doing because of sighthounds’ perfectly balanced musculoskeletal system...they are poetry in motion, or at rest (okay, maybe not the “dead bug” sleep posture?) and a beautiful example of mechanical engineering in living form.
Add to that their affectionate, intelligent personalities and eyes that clearly show their souls, and how could anyone resist:swoon:

*full disclosure, it’s possible I might be a little biased...
I am in complete agreement! I am captivated by them and can’t imagine anyone not falling in love with them and wanting - no, needing - to give a home to at least one if not two or more. They are certainly charmers. I think I spent the first 6 months in absolute awe of their beauty and being. I mean, while we’re writing odes to tigers, let’s certainly not forget the majestic, regal sighthounds! They have it all. Brains, beauty, and soul!

I feel the same way about lovebirds, but I think more people are open to listening to me extol the virtues and beauties of sighthounds than they are my adorable flighted monsters. ;)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes.... I do think you need to add a couple more! And knowing you've mentioned a whippet... check Rake out... this would surely liven things up around the :D Poptart mansion...

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
How is everything they do graceful? :heart:

(ok maybe not everything... I don’t think even a greyhound can puke gracefully :laughing2: )

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is everything they do graceful? :heart:

(ok maybe not everything... I don’t think even a greyhound can puke gracefully :laughing2: )
I don’t know, they’re actually sort of graceful when they puke, too, believe it or not! They curve their whole body and just neatly deposit whatever is bothering them on the floor (or in a bowl if you’ll hold it for them) before going on about their business. They have a surprising amount of decorum.

Now you’ve got me thinking about how weird that is, but they’re just so poised. Even when they “roach” (dead bug position, lol @Menagerie Mama), they look like they’ve been caught in the middle of a ballet performance. :D

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes.... I do think you need to add a couple more! And knowing you've mentioned a whippet... check Rake out... this would surely liven things up around the :D Poptart mansion...
LOL, just looking to add one whippet currently! :laughing2: They are such adorable little characters.

OMG, “the Poptart mansion”—:laughin:

RE: the video - we see amateur agility maneuvers every day from our psycho “puppy” Mercury - he’s greyhound x whippet but I’m quite sure his daddy was actually Cerberus!

Last edited:

BirdWorld

I don’t know, they’re actually sort of graceful when they puke, too, believe it or not! They curve their whole body and just neatly deposit whatever is bothering them on the floor (or in a bowl if you’ll hold it for them) before going on about their business. They have a surprising amount of decorum.
I- what- ok... the only dogs I’ve seen puke were a pit bull, a havanese hybrid/mutt, and a cavalier. None were pleasant, especially since the pit bull puked on my bed... yeah I’ll stop hijacking now lol.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve been sick with some kind of sinus cold this weekend, but it can’t stop me from being excited. We finally saw videos of the whippets. They’re all so beautiful and wonderful, how will we choose one?!
:cntprdct:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I- what- ok... the only dogs I’ve seen puke were a pit bull, a havanese hybrid/mutt, and a cavalier. None were pleasant, especially since the pit bull puked on my bed... yeah I’ll stop hijacking now lol.
Our little guy threw up practically on my wife’s face one time. He walked up the bed and was staring into her face from really close range and she was like, “What is it, bud?” A second layer he just opened his mouth and threw up on her - instantly, there was no warning! She turned her face at the LAST second and got it on the neck/shoulder. So close to being 1,000 times worse!

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Unless she is burrowing in to communicate the fact that just because the birds and I may be ready to get up and start our day, that by no means guarantees that Polly is... 8F98B406-02B4-4E6E-9F78-5BFF5713B725.jpeg

(sorry to hijack the thread! back to observing quietly:angelic:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Menagerie Mama That is totally our Italian greyhound, especially if someone is still in the bed. Once we both get up, the dogs generally relocate to their living room lounging spot(s). It is amazing how lazy they are! Even our youngest (Mercury, the grippet) will just lie around and sleep unless we try to get him excited or we’re outside! Once outside, he will romp around at max speed like a crazy boy, and same when he’s at the meetups or the occasional doggy park visit.

My JJ, our laziest greyhound, tried to convince me to get back in bed after I took them out this morning. I’m like, “JJ, sick or not, I can’t stay in bed all day - I’ve got to feed and hold the birdies.” He didn’t understand this strange logic in the least, lol...

We had a friend over last week and she was looking at Elsa sleeping in her chair and remarked, “I never see this dog in any other position or mode. Is she seriously a real dog or just an animatronic dog?!” Poor Elsa! :laughing2:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A friend's Italian Greyhound stays with a friend in their camper van when they look after her. This tiny little dog insists on not only sleeping in my friend's bed (not on, in) and streeeeeetches so she pushes my friend out of their own bed!

Polly is adorable. She looks very content.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mercury insisted on lying on me this morning, making both his favorite mama and my JJ jealous! I tried to get an incriminating photo with him looking right at me, but he kept glancing away at the last second. This is the best I could do.

D8DD7A32-51EB-41BE-86C2-67704D4BB96C.jpeg

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A friend's Italian Greyhound stays with a friend in their camper van when they look after her. This tiny little dog insists on not only sleeping in my friend's bed (not on, in) and streeeeeetches so she pushes my friend out of their own bed!

Polly is adorable. She looks very content.
They are truly little bed-hogging tyrants! So entitled and pushy. We regularly get kicked and pushed by tiny feet when he feels he doesn’t have enough space or whatever. They will burrow UNDER the covers and you will not stop them! If burrowing is too hard, ours will actually headbutt me like the little punk he is until I lift the duvet for him! They are such characters, and hilarious. :D

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Re: Italian greyhound sleeping habits - and don’t reach for your water or anything either, because any space you vacate is immediately theirs and you’ll have to fight to get it back! They may be only 12 pounds or so, but they turn into the most stubborn iggy-noodles that ooze only where they want to no matter how you try to move or push them out of the 6 inches of space you just had stolen! They’re not dogs, they’re aliens! I don’t care what anyone says! :p

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Poor Bear at the vet’s office before his dental today! He wanted to know what was going to be done to him!

View attachment 371367
Poor baby! Okay, @fluffypoptarts, not fair to pluck our heartstrings with the “before” pic of anxious Bear waiting to discover what’s in store at the vet’s without providing us with an “after” shot showing a happy, relieved Bear o_O