• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Backstory of Our Dogs

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry. You gave your beautiful boy a calm and dignified end. Because of you and your wife and other hounds, he got to experience the joys of comfort and companionship, good food, a warm sofa, and people who loved him so, so much. His life changed beyond his wildest dreams thanks to you and your big heart.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
I am so deeply sorry for your loss. So grateful that Senny knew love and a wonderful home during his time with you:sorrow:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm sorry you lost them but they had a good run and a happy life with you :sadhug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry to read about your precious fur babies!
Thank you. :( We hate losing them, but love sharing our lives with them.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We spoke to the rescue we adopted Sai, Senny, & Mercury from, and let them know we were looking to adopt a whippet in the near future. They have one more flight coming that will have plenty of whippets, so we may possibly have another furry family member in a couple of months. :fingerscrossed:

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Lucky whippet! You have the room and the dog budget (as the practicalities beyond the love that you have to give), I think it is wonderful that you are open to ensuring another lucky pup’s future. One dog can never “replace” another; and that’s not what a true animal lover is ever seeking...but, oh, how getting to know a new family member who needs you is balm for the spirit

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lucky whippet! You have the room and the dog budget (as the practicalities beyond the love that you have to give), I think it is wonderful that you are open to ensuring another lucky pup’s future. One dog can never “replace” another; and that’s not what a true animal lover is ever seeking...but, oh, how getting to know a new family member who needs you is balm for the spirit
Can’t really think of anything more worthwhile than spending our money on our babies. :heart: We will never stop giving homes to them, even when we’re sad. Oh yes, they're all unique individuals, so we’ve never felt anyone was replacing anyone else. We’re just giving another pup the same chance and support that the others had. We know that the ones who’ve come before would want that anyway.

E5DD9BAD-EF01-4331-859E-4F1FD92AB8FF.jpeg

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@fluffypoptarts ... I'm so sorry for your loss... precious greyhounds. You gave them a loving home for their end of life.
REALLY like that prose-- so well said.
They are all so precious, and we only get to have them for a short time. We look for those who choose us and especially tend to keep an eye out for the shy, the awkward, the old, and the ones with dark/black fur.

That poem makes me cry! But it captures how we think, and if our pups could talk, I strongly feel that they would say something similar. It makes me so sad when people say they are too heartbroken to ever take in another animal, or that they will wait years to feel better before doing so. That time is precious and can make the difference between life and death for an animal - at the very least it will make them wait even longer for a happy home, a home that they may die waiting for.

There is one greyhound from the Canidrome left at the rescue, and he has been waiting for 2 years because he needs a home without other animals. Plus I think he is also black, which ensures he is even less likely to be chosen. I so wish someone would adopt him. :sad5:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The keepsakes for Sai finally arrived (still waiting on his final urn)...this is mine. Unfortunately we could only fit one date. It was very hard to choose if it should be the first date of his corporeal existence or the last...but we were with him on his last, so that’s the one we chose.
160713F8-2BED-4A01-BB49-AC8A2E591E1E.jpeg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It's a beautiful keepsake. If you want one similar with both dates this company can do it for you on both sides. I found them on etsy a long time ago and had a few things made for the bracelets or necklaces I make. They only carry stainless steel ( I haven't visited their shop in quite some time) but they have many different styles and you can choose a font you prefer as well. These are very inexpensive and done very nicely. Here's a bracelet with a heart shape I ordered and then the link to ZiaFindings.com

TerraVerde Seas theDay2.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
There is always something artistic about every photo of your dogs... even in a pile... love them!

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Lol, my background is based in Physical Therapy (chronic pain treatment for 30 years) and I’ve always said that my Whippet is effortlessly graceful, no matter what she is doing because of sighthounds’ perfectly balanced musculoskeletal system...they are poetry in motion, or at rest (okay, maybe not the “dead bug” sleep posture?) and a beautiful example of mechanical engineering in living form.
Add to that their affectionate, intelligent personalities and eyes that clearly show their souls, and how could anyone resist:swoon:

*full disclosure, it’s possible I might be a little biased...