• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Backstory of Our Dogs

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s interesting they don’t affect you. I guess that’s what makes life so interesting... we’re all different but the same! My son used to get itchy from snuggling with Devo but it happens more so from snuggling with Suzie.
I think sometimes certain individual animals can set people off but not others of the same breed, I often wonder if it’s the animals environment or diet that contributes to the reaction level.
I’m so happy for you that you found a pack that doesn’t irritate you even if they might annoy you and steal your furniture from time to time lol.
It definitely varies as I’ve heard of other people with allergies, or even fewer allergies than I have, being more allergic to greyhounds. Thankfully, I can be with them without having to do anything else, though I may still pursue allergy shots at some point to alleviate my allergies to everything else (pollen, grass, dust, who knows).

Oh, me too! If it ever changed, I’d definitely rather get allergy shots regularly than give up on having future greyhounds, but hopefully my body will stay like it is, accepting the hound allergens as harmless passers-through in my system, lol. It’s difficult to convey to people how amazing it is to be able to finally be able to hug and be close to a furry animal without my immune system unleashing an apocalypse upon me!

We’re always going to have a little lovebird flock, though. Some people seem to think that finding dog breed(s) I don’t react to = not needing birds in my future. I find that so weird, and it is so far from the truth. Birds have always been a part of me, and I’ve had a strong affinity with them since before I could even talk. The lovebird is my soul bird and the greyhound is my soul dog.

Beyond not being allergic to greyhounds, I love how they are. Dignified yet playful and silly, affectionate yet independent and free-thinking, quiet/calm yet intense, unimposing, and mostly respectful of human signals. Those soulful eyes of theirs and their expressive ears and faces.

One thing I was used to with larger dogs is the way they would always crowd me, jump on me, and wouldn’t leave me alone. The greyhounds I’ve met and interacted with are by and large respectful beings that wait for a sign as to what you would like. They may ghost up next to you to show they’re there, but they’re not going to pester or push you if you don’t react. They just melt away and go back to their solitary pursuits (mostly sleeping, lol). Sometimes JJ will give me a gentle nudge or nose-bump to let me know he’s close. Any of the more invasive demonstrations of affection, I’ve had to really encourage. I worked hard to get JJ on the couch near me, then on the bed, then on my lap.

Sai is super cute the way he stands at a distance and watches you. When you look up, he starts to gently wag his tail, but still waits for an outstretched hand or a call. If I hold out both hands, Elsa comes and puts her face in them. We have worked hard to make them feel welcome and that they are always allowed to be close to us, but they’re still very sensitive, attentive, and attuned to what their people feel and desire.

Sai thinks he’s the regulator of the pack and will growl or bark when he thinks someone is out of line, even if it’s just one of them getting up at night. :rolleyes: We’ve found workarounds for that to keep him from fussing at night. Whatever annoyances or vet trips we have to make (they are delicate-skinned dogs, and Sai thinks he’s a tank and treats himself that way), it’s more than worth it.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As I mentioned in another thread, our poor iggy tragically snapped one of his forelegs when horsing around in the back yard this past weekend. We think maybe he hit an uneven place or dip the wrong way, or tripped over something. I couldn’t see anything in his immediate area that looked to be the cause when I ran up to him, but I can’t think what else could’ve caused it. We do have some diggers that we have to fill in after all the time, thus contributing to the unevenness, so we’re going to try doing what we can to even the whole yard and then lay down the “grass” carpets to hopefully prevent digging.

He has completely adapted to his heavy cast already and thinks he can just gallop around and try to get up on the furniture without a person in attendance. We have to follow him around constantly to keep him out of trouble, and the rest of the time he has to be in his crate with a cone on. But he still can’t be left alone the whole day, so I’ve been working half days at home to ensure that he’s okay.

C9699D2B-2934-4F0E-91B5-B0B4869F23D9.jpeg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Aaaaw.... bless his little heart!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aaaaw.... bless his little heart!
He has somehow leveled up his cuteness, so his adorable face and eyes are now paralyzing. One may only move to coo at him and stroke his little head.

This morning he gave a little cry and I just about fell out of bed as I jumped up to attend to him. It was only a, “Mom, I went poo on my potty tray, please take it away,” cry, so I was relieved. (I was off yesterday and the wife had taken him out only a few hours before, so it was just a case of not feeling like waiting. Iggies can be difficult about potty protocols, but they’re still wonderful dogs.)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Gosh, that reminds me of the time Aarkie had some sort of digestive upset and had zero control of her bowels during the night. It was written all over her face: "I'm so sorry, Mom... I had an accident and I know it's bad. I couldn't help it. Please forgive me. I do not potty on the floor." No one was mad at her, but holy mackerel - the entire livingroom was a disaster. It was all over the carpeting and the wood floor.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gosh, that reminds me of the time Aarkie had some sort of digestive upset and had zero control of her bowels during the night. It was written all over her face: "I'm so sorry, Mom... I had an accident and I know it's bad. I couldn't help it. Please forgive me. I do not potty on the floor." No one was mad at her, but holy mackerel - the entire livingroom was a disaster. It was all over the carpeting and the wood floor.
NOthing... I mean NOTHING.... is worse than two german shorthair pointer puppies at 6 months old having diarrhea aaallllll over on your living room carpet. Dusty rose carpet I might add..... :wtf:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Omg, poor girl...and poor you! Yeah, ours never get in trouble if it’s obvious they’re not feeling well. Ouji has a diarrhea episode when he was a puppy one time and the wife was sick and in bed, so I spent the whole day alternating between taking care of her and cleaning up puppy diarrhea. :depressed:

When Ouji was a puppy, he was AWFUL about potty. We had to keep belly bands on him because he would just pee whenever he felt like it, no matter when he had been out. He would also poo whenever as well - and DANCE in it. The more he got it all over himself and the floor, the better. Italian greyhounds are known to be difficult to potty train. I’m convinced it’s because they’re quite stubborn and have a rebellious streak. The bigger the streak, the tougher they are to “train”. (They do what they want. Seriously. You’ve got to convince them that they want to cooperate, lol.)

There were a couple of times when he got in trouble for something that he did revenge poo ON the couch. :eek: (That was how we found out he could get up there on his own.) He was a little terrorist until he was about 10 months. The he gradually started getting better about complying with the potty rules.

He’s pretty good now. Just the occasional “accident”. They are well worth the extra trouble, but people have to be fully aware of and okay with the potty training difficulty, which is actually a big reason that they are given up. That said, we didn’t find a lot of them available for adoption when we looked, so I think the people who fall in love with the breed are very devoted and rarely give their dogs up.

Ouji has made us Italian greyhound people, 100%. He’s so sweet and loving.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Peachfaced I’ve heard of some iggies that did well with potty training and were really good, but ours was not one of those, lol.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I just realized I never responded to this! I'm so sorry, I loved seeing your pack. They all look like such loving (and crazy for the puppy) personalities and thank you for rescuing and adopting! Its wonderful so many of them found their way to your home after a downright awful start to life.
I know I already commented on your hurt iggy but :sad4: How dare you let that precious creature injure himself in his sheer craziness, you must carry him everywhere for life now. :laugh:

And you all make me so grateful. Axel is a heathen if I let him get bored but the one time he diarrhea'd an entire room he chose the only uncarpeted space he had access to and didn't even step in it somehow. It was horrifying, The Floor is Lava's far less popular cousin, The Floor is Liquid Turd.
Unlike Sadie's lovely sweetheart he barks me awake at 4am, leads me to the kitchen but blocks me from walking in in the dark, it and looks at me like "I'm going back to bed. Fix this." I turn on the hall light to see what's going on and oh. oh no.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What a lovely couch you have! Looks like you have a little more room for even more hounds! :p

They are so gorgeous! When I own a house, I want some large sighthounds. Since I am renting currently I can't install barriers to manage them and my birdies. I do have a little doggo though, and he is pretty short...only 3.2 kg.

He has completely adapted to his heavy cast already and thinks he can just gallop around and try to get up on the furniture without a person in attendance. We have to follow him around constantly to keep him out of trouble, and the rest of the time he has to be in his crate with a cone on. But he still can’t be left alone the whole day, so I’ve been working half days at home to ensure that he’s okay.
Awe poor little guy. BIG HUGS. You will get it off soon enough and will be able to romp and play again! Puppy kisses!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a lovely couch you have! Looks like you have a little more room for even more hounds! :p
Lol, thank you! Believe it or not, we didn’t originally intent to fill it with sighthounds, but it worked out pretty well. :laugh:

They are so gorgeous! When I own a house, I want some large sighthounds. Since I am renting currently I can't install barriers to manage them and my birdies. I do have a little doggo though, and he is pretty short...only 3.2 kg.
They are indeed. It is amazing how beautiful and wonderful they are. If it’s in your heart to have sighthounds, you’ll never regret it.

Awe poor little guy. BIG HUGS. You will get it off soon enough and will be able to romp and play again! Puppy kisses!
Oh you have no idea - you would die if you could see him and hold him! He’s already trying to romp. He reallly wanted to sleep with me last night, so he came RACING around the corner towards the bedroom and I was like AHHHH STOP RUNNING!!! :eek: He’s a super spirited little guy and can’t be kept down by anything.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They are indeed. It is amazing how beautiful and wonderful they are. If it’s in your heart to have sighthounds, you’ll never regret it.
Oh yeah we are already involved with Borzoi and Wolfhounds. I get to enjoy them, but I am eager to welcome one home someday. I love their temperament. They can surely be goofy and silly dogs, but at the same time they will always win the couch surfing contest. Did you know Picasso has a Borzoi :D :p :swoon:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just realized I never responded to this! I'm so sorry, I loved seeing your pack. They all look like such loving (and crazy for the puppy) personalities and thank you for rescuing and adopting! Its wonderful so many of them found their way to your home after a downright awful start to life.
They are wonderful dogs and it’s really great to have been able to give them homes. It’s crazy how sweet and loving they are, no matter what has happened to them. We are definitely going to keep rescuing and adopting.
I know I already commented on your hurt iggy but :sad4: How dare you let that precious creature injure himself in his sheer craziness, you must carry him everywhere for life now. :laugh:
Oh my gosh, you have no idea! We were so horrified and felt so terrible. He is our precious little mini deer-cat! He always slept between us in bed before his break, and loved cuddling up to me. I’d always wake up at night to make sure the wife hadn’t rolled on him or his little stick legs as she’s a heavy sleeper. I do spend a lot of time carrying him around now, and I set him down like the finest China!

And you all make me so grateful. Axel is a heathen if I let him get bored but the one time he diarrhea'd an entire room he chose the only uncarpeted space he had access to and didn't even step in it somehow. It was horrifying, The Floor is Lava's far less popular cousin, The Floor is Liquid Turd.
Unlike Sadie's lovely sweetheart he barks me awake at 4am, leads me to the kitchen but blocks me from walking in in the dark, it and looks at me like "I'm going back to bed. Fix this." I turn on the hall light to see what's going on and oh. oh no.
Aww, of course! We love them (and our lovies) so much. Lol, I love the way you tell stories! Mercury sounds like Axel’s long lost cousin. He’s such a little trouble-maker. But Axel is far kinder and braver than our iggy! :hilarious: He would have let me walk into that kitchen in the dark while he ran off to hide!

Mercury has done that to a lesser degree in our kitchen and just left it for us to find. One of our greyhounds DOES tell on the other dogs if they break the rules, though! It’s hilarious. He woke me up one time when Ouji had a diarrhea issue ON THE BED - on MY side, of course! :dead: That could have gone a lot worse!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yeah we are already involved with Borzoi and Wolfhounds. I get to enjoy them, but I am eager to welcome one home someday. I love their temperament. They can surely be goofy and silly dogs, but at the same time they will always win the couch surfing contest. Did you know Picasso has a Borzoi :D :p :swoon:
Oh really! Do you guys volunteer somewhere? Oh I know, these guys are so good at sleeping. I love their mix of regal and silly, and they really do have such a great temperament. Definitely perfect for us. I didn’t know Picasso had a borzoi! I met one randomly at the reptile store a little while ago - lovely dog.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Great story. I'm thinking about adding a puff chinese crested. I need another animal like I need a baby elephant, but you know.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Great story. I'm thinking about adding a puff chinese crested. I need another animal like I need a baby elephant, but you know.
I'm not sure if the puff ( beautiful dogs...love them) has the same dental issues as the naked. My sister has her daughters crested now for a few years.... the skin issues are terrible.... you should talk to her. I don't know about the puff and whether they suffer the same. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of Sid.. Not too many full body shots of him... He does grow hair mostly on his legs, head, tail and shoulders. But he's a cute boy....the vet bills ....not so cute.

She couldn't find him one day.... he found a comfy spot in the laundry on an open dryer door.

IMG_1359.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Not a close up but an idea... all in all... he's an aloof dog, loves to lick himself like a cat. Glad he lives with my sister and that I didn't adopt him from my niece when she decided she couldn't keep him anymore.

IMG_2248.jpg