• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Backstory of Our Dogs

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Betting you're a Libra. When you can't decide .... you get both. Or, in my case.... all colors available in shirts or pants.
Another air sign - a Gemini! But yes, that’s me, too! It’s not really a hard decision when these guys have been through hell and are only alive because someone saw them, and the lady who runs the rescue took them on and worked very hard to get them out of there.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
You *needed* two, sort of their own “pack within a pack”:xflove:

Hmmmm, then again, maybe you need the same number of Whippets as Greyhounds...ya know, for balance in your life!:cantwait:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You *needed* two, sort of their own “pack within a pack”:xflove:

Hmmmm, then again, maybe you need the same number of Whippets as Greyhounds...ya know, for balance in your life!:cantwait:
I think they’re definitely adjusting better that way! They seem comforted by being in the mini-pack together and almost always curl up near or on each other. :)

LOL, all we need is a partridge in a pear tree! They really aren’t a lot more work, though, aside from the initial adjustment and training. :heart:

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
So happy to hear that the transition (and what a dramatic change it was) is going smoothly. I look forward to their coming adventures!

Polly and I got out in the woods last weekend...always a joyfully peaceful way to spend the day.
So proud of my Hippolyta, while she used to be nervous and want me to carry her across any stream or creek, now she splashed through, uses stepping stones, and even springs up onto a downed tree to trot across a few feet over the water:loveshower: 733B1F21-F266-44DE-BBE9-99CDF1A05148.jpeg D738F32B-74E9-40FF-8587-6394122D6B5D.jpeg CE19FDBB-3AF7-4098-821D-B400B932BFC8.jpeg

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
@Menagerie Mama She’s so beautiful! What a wonderful place to go walking. :)
Thank you, you should see Polly off leash in the woods...grace, power, speed, control, joy, all on glorious display. I don’t let her off leash on weekends when there are more people around (especially since Covid, ill equipped, noisy, littering people, passing in a cloud of AXE body spray -seriously, why, oh why, would you bring that into the woods?!). That particular hike is five miles from my front door and has free parking; it leads to a beautiful 50 foot waterfall with many cascades. Polly and I sit at the base of the falls drinking in the sights and sounds while we share a snack. Bliss!
I could start a thread in Shutterbug of all of the gorgeous hiking pics I get. Polly completed her first trek to the highest elevation in South Carolina back in October, such views!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
I must be disallusioned.. if that's a word, or I haven't had enough coffee yet. But those don't look like whippets to me... they're Lounge Lizards!!!!! Adorable~ :roflmao:
Sigh, the majority of my thousands of photos of Portia and Polly make them look like lounge lizards, because it’s difficult to capture a Whippet in motion on film :bliss:
Besides, you are too busy enjoying the sensation of your heart filling at the glorious sight

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I must be disallusioned.. if that's a word, or I haven't had enough coffee yet. But those don't look like whippets to me... they're Lounge Lizards!!!!! Adorable~ :roflmao:
They are lazy little bums and sleep sooo much! And here I was bracing myself for more energetic pups. :laughing2: Even when we took them to the dog park, they tapped out after 45 minutes max of playing and exploring, lol.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Boys went to the vet and all seems well. They completely enchanted the technician and she went from never having met a whippet to saying she needed one. ;)

I also had to block them from the neighbor’s large combative dog again (that he never has on a leash). :arghh: The dog came running up while I was trying to get them in the car and had his back fur up and was growling. He wanted to get them. I put them behind me and said, “NO,” as firmly and strongly as I could — twice. The whole time the guy is calling this dog, but of course he’s ignoring him. I couldn’t have safely taken my eyes off him to get the whippets in the car, so I just waited with them behind me. Fortunately he decided to back down and nothing happened. I love these little guys so much and I’ll do whatever I can to protect them. Can’t stand off-leash dogs in the neighborhood!

5365734D-A3ED-4EA8-BA2D-5EA131E050B2.jpeg

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
That is an extremely difficult situation to live in! Though of course, it is SO MUCH BETTER to co-exist in harmony [especially w/ those in such close proximity]--- HOWEVER--- what are you going to do, WHEN [not if] something bad happens?

By your comments and actions, I can see that YOU are the 'thinking' one, alert and proactive for any possible situations. Q-- so if he had attacked, he could probably have injured ALL of you. Then what? Would you get just an 'I'm sorry'... or would he pay the bills? What if you or yours were severely injured? What if your wifey had been there instead of you? Too many possibilities...

The neighbors dog-- will he just go after another animal? What about a child riding a bike? These horror stories make the news.

I am normally, a very positive person... but I can see the writing on the wall...
BTW-- I LOVE your tile!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Pat H It doesn’t happen often, but I will probably say something to the fellow about leashing that dog when I see him again. Doubt it’ll do much good...

My plan A at that moment would’ve been to kick the dog if he got too close, and plan B was to intercept and pin at all costs until his owner got there (he was coming to retrieve the dog). I may have sustained injuries doing so, but there is no way the whippets could endure an attack from a dog like that, and I was not going to let him get to them.

My wife is much taller and stronger than me, so she would’ve been able to handle the dog, I’m sure. She worked in rescue for a while with problem dogs, some of them pretty large!

I think I’m going to start carrying a taser when taking the dogs anywhere, just in case. The neighbor’s dog mostly seems bothered by other dogs. I haven’t really seen him react otherwise. But I hear you about aggressive dogs attacking people. I’m always on the alert and I’ve heard lots of stories. I worry most for our thin-skinned, lightly furred hounds, though. Even greyhounds often end up on the losing end of dog-on-dog altercations, and sometimes they’re killed.

Oh, that’s the tile at the vet’s office! It’s lovely, isn’t it? :)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I've been following your thread for a while, and wanted to finally say thank you for sharing the story of your lovely dogs.