• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Backstory of Our Dogs

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby! Okay, @fluffypoptarts, not fair to pluck our heartstrings with the “before” pic of anxious Bear waiting to discover what’s in store at the vet’s without providing us with an “after” shot showing a happy, relieved Bear o_O
He was not happy and relieved, he was worried!

Apparently the staff were so enchanted by them and spoke of what good, sweet dogs they were. Once they woke up without my wife there, though, they started crying! The staff even texted my wife asking, “Are you on your way? Your babies are crying here!” Lol. They ran to my wife when she walked in. Guess they love her after all. ;) (The remaining greyhounds are mostly “my” dogs, though they love her as well.)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My god! Those adopting stories just melt my heart! And the fact that you're allergic to dogs and still want one to make your wife happy, well, maybe I'm too emotional, but I almost ended up crying. And the pictures of the dog. Oh, my god! It's so cute!
Not too emotional at all. :heart: Well I love her and wanted to make her happy. :hug8: It’s never a bad thing to adopt an animal in need, as far as I’m concerned! Adjustments will always need to be made anyway.

These pups have really moved my heart and I’d never choose to be without them after knowing and experiencing how wonderful they are.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wife was complaining the other night because JJ expanded to steal her spot on the bed when she got up to use the restroom. Listen, you vacate the bed, you lose your place!

Since he’d already slept in bed with us the other night, I wasn’t going to have him up last night. But the wife called psycho puppy and JJ always takes that as his excuse to come up (you can call for any dog, lol). Once he was up, I told him to get down and go to his bed. He started giving us the pleading looks and anguished brow furrows before putting both of his paws on my leg and staring into my eyes with soulful heartbreak. I just couldn’t kick him out, lol. That guy, seriously!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
TRAIN! I had a shepherd and didn't. He only liked 4 people, very hard going.

Loved him dearly. He was flat out awesome. No dogs since he passed away.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Yeah! You know the rules! ;)

We also have adopted a german shepherd puppy and it's our first dog. It's a bit touch because I know that I should train my puppy so I won't have any problems with his behavior in the future. And I've never done this before, so I'm just browsing special forums to find out more about dogs' behavior, nutrition, and training.

My husband had lost one of his dogs when he was a child because the doctors didn't recognize a liver disease. So, this time we are more than paranoid! But I still hope that everything is gonna be fine!
Your puppy should live about a dozen years or more... ANY amount of training will only benefit not only your life [and puppy of course]... but ANYONE who comes around you... German Shepherds are very intelligent and NEED this kind of interaction! You will be glad you took the time!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The 'Little One' has learned how to give the expressive eye-looks too!
He was born with it as he is an Italian greyhound. :D They are super expressive and good at being adorable and heart-wrenching at the same time! I’m convinced that sighthounds in general are given to expressiveness.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let me tell you all - our training consists of these basic commands:

-Wait
-Come here
-Down
-Up
-No
-Leave it
-Let’s go/want out
-Enough (for Mercury when he’s going nuts)
-Sit (only for the smaller two, though it works better for Ouji if you ask him to “pretty sit” :hilarious:)

If we can get our dogs to learn those things, we’re happy! Especially with sighthounds as they tend to be pretty independent. But they’re very easy dogs overall.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Let me tell you all - our training consists of these basic commands:

-Wait
-Come here
-Down
-Up
-No
-Leave it
-Let’s go/want out
-Enough (for Mercury when he’s going nuts)
-Sit (only for the smaller two, though it works better for Ouji if you ask him to “pretty sit” :hilarious:)

If we can get our dogs to learn those things, we’re happy! Especially with sighthounds as they tend to be pretty independent. But they’re very easy dogs overall.
Exactly! I have the same basic list as you; mostly for Polly’s safety. Lol, except, instead of “pretty sit”, for Polly, there’s “wait like a lady!”

If I wanted a “yes man“ in my life, I wouldn’t live with a whippet...I wanted an intelligent and loving companion :loveshower:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Exactly! I have the same basic list as you; mostly for Polly’s safety. Lol, except, instead of “pretty sit”, for Polly, there’s “wait like a lady!”

If I wanted a “yes man“ in my life, I wouldn’t live with a whippet...I wanted an intelligent and loving companion :loveshower:
Lol so cute!

I really love that intelligence and their ability to think and will for themselves. They really are the canine equivalent of birds. :heart: