• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Babies I Rescued That are Hard to Photograph

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
These are the 2 I have talked about but they literally fly from side to side banging themselves against the cage walls if I walk toward them.
@Shezbug @Ali

They're always cuddled together but... not when I'm taking photos. Wonder if I have made a mistake putting them in a more hidden corner? Maybe they actually need to be out / around us more.

lucy n linus.jpg

lucy n linus2.jpg

Linus1.jpg

Lucy1.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Maybe? Maybe you should try for a while
I may do that. They're beside Sunshine Parrotlet, I thought she could help them be birds. She's very friendly to people and never spooks.

They would not TOUCH fresh food when t hey first came. Like they thought I was trying to poison them. Then suddenly one day the whole dish was empty, and that's how it's been ever since.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Maybe try moving them.

Rather than somewhere where you are more, maybe around more birds? That way they will see through the other birds you are totally fine and pose no threat.

Do you know much about their background and why they are like this?

@Kiwi's Mom cute pics!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They're in a room with 22 other birds or so. They're in a stacked cage, oh heck I'll just show you.

bird room right wall.JPG

So that's a stack of 6 cages - 2 parrotlets above, one beside (on my hand in the pic) and finches below. The glass/ wood thing is finches. The next wall has cockatiels, a budgie, and a parrotlet. The left wall has 2 pionus. The caiques are in my office, currently throwing water on me.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I love the little aviary!

Do they come out often?
Yes. They are invited out daily. A lot of times they just stay in, with the doors open.

Reactions: Ali

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes

• Sad

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They’re so cute! I am sure given some extra time they’ll learn that you are a true angel and they have nothing to worry about :heart2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww love the two little ones! :swoon: :cloud9:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe they are probably still processing a lot. I am sure they will come around.

When Picard was new to our home, as in day 1, I opened his cage and he flew out to the living room. He fluttered around randomly, not knowing where to go, even tapping his wings against the ceiling. He ended up landing in the fish aquarium. Luckily I had floating plants in there and he didn't weigh enough to sink or crush the plant. So I was able to easily get him. But poor dude, day 1.. I felt really bad about that and took more caution opening his cage for several days. It is funny to look back on those early moments. Now he is very good at navigating the entire house.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He ended up landing in the fish aquarium.
Most of mine take at least one dip in the swimming pool! They’re all good at spreading their wings to float until I get to them.

You’re right. The beginning is rough. I xpected it to be easier than it has been for them. They fly away from me and plaster themselves on the cage bars almost every time I enter the room. I did see that one stayed on the perch today (Linus) instead of flying to the wall.

It’s really hard to bond with such flighty little things.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It’s really hard to bond with such flighty little things.
Not sure if it is a possibility with your setup, though can you just leave their door open? Maybe if they can come to you or at least not have that feeling of being "fish in a bowl" maybe they will start to see how much fun you are. Especially since they do see how you interact with the other parrotlets. Another idea is to try to cover a half of their cage with something they can sorta see through but helps them feel a little more protected. I used this type of paper mesh (image) with Zippy. It helped because he could see me, but also didn't feel exposed. He could judge me from safety. I only placed it over a small section of Zippy's cage.

OIP.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks for your suggestions.
Since they are in a stacked cage against the wall on 2 sides, the only part I could really cover is the front. I do have some of that stuff, though. Also have some unopened fake plants - those could hang on the cage and maybe help them feel secure.

I have been opening their door at “parrotlet playtime.” Lucy came out once, seemed startled at herself, and landed on a tree I keep near their cage. Eventually she flew back in. Linus never came out.