• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The adventures of Gimli

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well the big day has come. Gimli is home. I have been planning, gathering and planning. Now here is this fluff ball in my house. :D

---Gimli is a long coated chihuahua, 11 weeks old---

We are not allowing Gimli in the bird room/ my office for some time. So I am on my laptop in the common area. I want to promote a harmonious and happy household. If the birds tolerate this fluffy bean, then at some point I will allow Gimli in that room when the birds are in their cages. That is my bird's space so if they reject this idea of a little wolf in there.. I will need to think of something.

I bought Gimli a playpen that has a zip top, so I can create birdie separation. Pi was very curious of this new noise in the house. Pi was begging to come out for a fly. So I placed Gimli in his play pen. Pi was flying the common area, he did his laps --nearly 10 in a row before a break. He is growing into a much stronger flyer. Pi is curious of this fluffy noise machine. It didn't take Pi long to feel relaxed and he is currently foraging the play stand. Pi is regularly checking in with me... more than usual so I think he is a tiny bit nervous. Though, I would say it is all going very well. Pi is preening, and showing a relaxed vibe on the play stand. Now Gimli has fallen asleep so that is probably helping. Keep in mind that there is 100% dog-bird barrier. So Pi is just observing.

I have not yet tried with the parrotlets, there is still time. Neptune is a very sensitive guy, so I want to be careful about the pace.

I have no want for these species to interact with each other. In fact I want them to always maintain as much separation as possible. What I want is harmony. They can learn of each other's existence and still feel safe. Gimli came from a house with parrots so he is sleeping through all the parrot vocalisations. Gimli also walked by the finches enclosure and everyone seemed fine. Gimli showed NO interest, and Zippy continued hopping around the cage bottom. So that is awesome! He was gathering bark for the nest ;)

I brought my dslr when we picked Gimli up, so don't worry I will start uploading pictures this evening.

I started this thread to share how this integration goes. Adding a wolf to the flock.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Picard and Neptune have observed Gimli today. It went way better than I thought. Neptune was playing on the play stand nibbling leaves, ripping sticks and he relaxed, preening, sleeping and chattering....all with in eye sight of the little fluff monster. I feel very good about this. Low drama = A happy home for me :)

I will admittedly say I also felt bad a little bit. The disruption to my regular routine with my birds made me miss them. Granted each bird got out time, Pi flew his little heart out, Neptune played, Picard took a nap on his favourite person. Neptune also got his evening scritches.. but it is always stressful to add a new member to the routine. Pi wanted me to hang out in the office, but I spent nearly all day in the common area or outside. :(

The chickens accepted Gimli very easily. Luna was a little fearful, but not excessively.

It helps that Gimli is probably the most placid 11 week old pup I have ever met. He seems to have low prey drive. I dare say it may even be hard to motivate Mr. snuggle butt. Once he is asleep nothing wakes him. So I think in time it will all work out.

IMG_7527.JPG

IMG_7558.JPG

IMG_7557.JPG

IMG_7565.JPG

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Looks like he’s settling in well :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh what I would give for some snuggles with your fluffy woofy!... :rolleyes: :cloud9:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
He slept through his first night like a champion! He only whined a few times, but quickly fell back asleep.

So far he is one of the easiest puppies I have ever known. No accidents in the house yet. This morning he romped into the office/bird room. Neptune was very mad about it, but actually calmed down quickly. Gimli is sleeping on the floor in the office and the birdies are acting normally.

I am feeling positive about this. Early days still, but seems good. --this is one chill dog.

It is dry season, so don't mind all the bark/leaf debris :p

Gives you an idea of his tiny factor!

IMG_7537.JPG

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He´s teeny weeny!!!!! He´s the cutest lil doggy I´ve seen in a long time!! :cloud9: (Don´t tell Jacob)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am starting to wonder if my pup is broken! How can such a little fluff ball be such a good boy? He chews his toys, pees outside and sleeps without disruption! He also has already picked up, "sit"

I think I have a wonder dog! Did I mention that the birdies are acting normally? They were a little annoyed the first time they saw him, but today they were acting their normal adorable selves. They do keep their eyes on him when he walks by, which is expected!

IMG_7569.JPG

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
He really is. :swoon: Such a good boy too..really blowing my mind. Especially asking to go outside for his business. I don't think I have ever had such a young pup who understood this early. They may have understood not going in the house, but they didn't beg at the door.

The only negative behaviour so far is nipping at pant legs, and tugging on tea towels, blankets and other fabrics.. He is such a little one, so he will learn. We are just redirecting it to a toy.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ok so found a challenge with little Gimli. He is picking up housebreaking, knows sit, knows fetch, the easiest puppy ever..right?

Well finally I found something that is a challenge. He HATES harnesses. The harness I ordered for him before his arrival was far too big, so today I picked up a large cat harness which fits better.

So I clip the harness on, no problem ..tail wagging..happy puppy. Then I get up to see if I can hook up the lead and go from there. Gimli gets up and prances after me 3 steps..only to dramatically cry, fall over and generally give up on life.

He won't even try walking in the harness and just lays their with this defeated look..and if he moves you would think we have a disabled doggo. He actually cries bloody murder when he does walk in it. Keep in mind I have it on loosely and can comfortably fit my hand into both loops around his neck and chest. I was also super careful and know that I didn't hook any of his fluff. It is a cat harness and both loops clip so there isn't an over the head element. He doesn't want any of it!

Treats did not help encourage him to try it longer, to realise it is safe. He just gave up. Watched the treat with sad eyes but refusing to budge.

Now this is a delicate situation because I don't want him to become overly whinny and demanding. Think of the cliche poorly behaved chihuahua. I want him to be a self respecting little man, so I am trying very hard to wait for him to be relaxed before I reward him too much. This has worked really well when we are eating. He is on the floor and at first he looks at us and hops around..but we just allow him to calm down and he has been laying calmly whilst we eat...even working on his chew. Such a good boy!

Anyway I clearly needed to get the harness off, but also not reward him for being VERY dramatic about it.

So I waited a bit. He fell asleep in the harness. He seemed very contented and was rolling about stretching. The he gets up to follow me out for a pee..and he just screams rolls over to die...and lay there. Oh Gimli.

So tomorrow I am going to get a high reward treat, maybe boiled chicken? I am hoping I can show him he can walk forth in this thing without dying. The drama is comically over the top. It does make me wonder how he will take new things as he ages. He may always be very anti new objects on him.. only time will tell.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
hotdogs always worked for me

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Gimli update :)

We made progress with the harness. He doesn't mind it when we are adventuring now. Baby steps.

Today he received his last young puppy wellness check and boosters. He is now safe to interact with other dogs and go to dog parks. 1.8kg :p Such a little guy, but a strong and healthy chihuahua. The vet was very happy with his knees and teeth. Fingers crossed that we don't get any patella issues with this one. :smileflower:

There is a chihuahua club meet up happening soon, supposedly this weekend, no one has updated the group page... so not sure if it is still on... Pretty big heat wave here at the moment so it might be too hot for the play date.

Anyway I am so excited he can finally get out and explore more dog populated areas it is critical for his socialization.

His next vet check is in 3 months.

He has also been accepted into the chicken flock and my three hens forage with him. :swoon::heart2:

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Wow he’s such an adorable, smart, adorable, sweet, cute and did I mention ADORABLE baby! :loveshower:
Glad he’s liking the harness more now. He’s back to being the perfect puppy again lol
I love these updates, thanks for sharing them and keep the Gimli pics coming please!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It was pretty hot today, heat wave. I gave him some ice cubes to play with. He got a kick out of them. My kitchen became a puppy hockey rink.

Pi also was curious about ice cubes, so Pi got one in his water dish and that was super cute! He kept touching it with his tongue and then shaking his head.. WEIRD! he thought. Then he would try again. :xflove::xflove: