• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

that was scary - head between bars!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
The baby budgie managed to get his head between two cage bars a bit ago. He has just moved into the room with other birds and loves Sunny, whom I had out with Jimi. I think Blue was trying to find a way to get out of his cage to come to us.

He was really stuck- he was frantically trying to get free- I couldn't push him back in, tried tilting his head. Oh, it was awful, I didn't know what to do.
Sunny and Jimi didn't help the atmosphere by flying around screaming so I stopped trying to help Blue to put those 2 away and when I turned back his head was free. Thank Heavens.
Obviously we will be getting a new cage - the upper front corner is not 1/2 inch but increases to 3/4 inch. I have a cuttlebone blocking it right now.

What do you do when a small bird gets his head stuck - they are so delicate, but I am not strong enough to do a superman and spread the cage bars??????????????????

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It depends on the size of the cage. Zena's bars are small enough that I could cut the bar with wire cutters. Korbin Dallas and Judy's cages would require bolt cutters. I don't like cages with scroll work or arches where the bars are fanned because of the changes in bar spacing.

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
I believe that it was better for him to attempt to free himself on his own, as any attempt by any human in such a scary situation, may have caused unbeknownst injury to him. It was fortunate, I.M.O., that you left momentarily to put the others away, as this gave Budgie time to himself away from the frantic screams of the other birds (who obviously sensed the danger) to attempt and successfully free himself from between the cage bars.
If you have a smaller cage, even a carrier cage, with closer knit bars, to put him in, until you get a new cage, that would be best, and I wouldn't wait too long to get an safer cage, as this will likely reoccur, as he obviously is motivated to get out of his cage. If he had failed to free himself when you returned, having a pair of plyers at hand at all times would remedy the situation a a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.