• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thank you for letting me register with your Forum.

SweetPea60

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gay Caughell
I have 4 parakeets and 3 babies. I know typically parakeets don't use anything in their nest box, but I am having an awful time with the babies feces sticking and drying on their feet. I have put some papertowel and some shredded paper in the box to help absorb some. I'm having to soak the babies feet in warm water to soften the "mess" off. Can I use corn cob bedding or walnut litter in the box to help with this problem?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome! I believe they use shavings (not positive). I'm tagging people who raise baby birds.

@Zara @PoukieBear @BrianB

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue,

Aspen shavings are the best option. If you can't find those, course pine will be OK too. Not fine pine, and never cedar.
You can find these shavings at most pet stores :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Never use corn cob or paper pellets or walnut as bedding. They adsorb water which encourages the growth of fungus and that could kill your chicks as well as your parents.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!
As Zara mentioned, you should be using wood shavings as bedding. You will need to change the bedding at least once a day to keep it clean, and possibly twice a day once the chicks get older and stat making more mess.

I'm not sure where you are from, but if you can't find wood shavings, you can use plain rolled oats.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I find aspen and pine is the best. Just run your hands through it to check for sharp pieces that might be left over. Cobb is bad as bedding and the crushed walnut shell is too small. They could eat it and get a blockage from it. Both hold moisture and you can quickly get mold.