• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thank you for having me!

Atlas53

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gillian Eiloart
Since my husband and I retired and moved from our country home 2 years ago I have been missing my chickens immensely.
About a week ago, our neighbour, who fosters bunnies for the SPCA, asked if we knew anyone who would like to adopt a pair of lovebirds that had just been seized due to neglect. They are now in our living room in a new, 36 x 30 x 20 cage. I am feeding Zeems pellets and fresh fruit and veg. They always have fresh water and oyster shell, plus a mineral block. Am I missing anything? They are not very tame but they do stop and listen when I speak softly to them.
There was a pair of cockatiels rescued with them. Could they share a cage if I adopted them, too? If not, would the lovebirds be likely to accept any type of room mate?
Other than chickens my only bird experience is with budgies, which I had, and loved, for about 20 years, many years ago.
I look forward to learning a lot from this group.
Thanks again for adding me.

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Oh that is a lot of questions and I am sure here people will lot of experience will be able to help. But anyway: welcome!!! :)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Thanks for helping them. Lovebirds and cockatiels shouldn't share a cage. Lovies can be aggressive even though smaller than the tiels who typically are really laid back. I have known of a lovebird almost biting a tiel's toe completely off. So separate cages would be needed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Gillian! 1.welcome signs.gif
So wonderful of you to take in the lovebirds! :bliss:

Perhaps this link can help you;

oyster shell, plus a mineral block
Lovebirds don´t need either of these things. I would remove the oyster shell completely, that is something softbill birds need, not hook bills (parrots). The mineral block won´t do much, but as you already have it, might as well leave it in. Same goes for cuttle fish bones, they´re not necessary so save your money.
You can buy some millet spray, and use it to build some trust between you and the birds by feeding it to them through the cage bars.

Could they share a cage if I adopted them, too?
No, never. Not even another lovebird.
The rule for lovebirds is one single bird, or one bonded pair per cage. It´s important the pair is actually bonded and not just friendly. If you want to add more lovebirds in the future and don´t want multiple cages, you would need to move them to a spacious aviary and have 4+ birds as a colony.

If not, would the lovebirds be likely to accept any type of room mate?
What Michelle said above also applies to out of the cage, lovebirds have very strong beaks for such small birds and won´t back down from any fight, not even with a larger bird like a cockatiel or any other bird for that matter. Under close supervision you can try allowing some out of cage shared time, but always monitored for everyones safety.
@TikiMyn @DoubleTake and @Leih have lovebirds and other species so might have additional tips for introducing multi species outside of the cages.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:welcomegroup: Thank You for taking them in

Atlas53

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gillian Eiloart
Thank you for the advice and the link. You have been very helpful and I really appreciate it.
Already I see a big difference in their behavior. They sat quietly on a perch while I put their fruit and veggies in the cage this morning, and their millet this evening. They seem much calmer. They are so beautiful!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!