• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Territorial question

amsue0222

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
My black capped and my quaker have two cages that they share. The front room cage is where they go in the evening and sleep. During the day they are in the back room. The black capped has become super territorial over the front room cage- He isn't as bad with the back room cage. It is to the point that no one can walk by the cage in the front room without him lunging after them. He bit me real hard (blood) when I switched out the water bowl today. I really thought he would eventually warm up to us and become more friendly but he is becoming to be a little monster! The Quaker is not territorial with me but is with everyone else.

Should I switch the cages around or move the location of the cage to perhaps change up the behavior :confused:?

Wayne361

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Wayne
Switching up location and/or toys/swings etc inside should help. Also prevention is also a good position to take IMO....meaning dont stick your hands in to change water/clean etc. Have bird come out first and you have just solved your problem :)

Wayne

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
they're both living in the same cage(s) together?

amsue0222

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
they're both living in the same cage(s) together?
Yes they are living in the same cage together. They have done this on their own- we had two different cages and they have sort of decided to stay together. Tyson is still the same no matter what but Chewy is just a stinker. I think separating them at this point would stress them out. The front room cage is dark usually after 7pm and they like to go to bed then. The back room cage has the family tv in it and has more activity in the evening. And - as far as the prevention goes- Chewy will fly over to that cage if he sees you in it/by it and attack you! If he is on top he comes down and bites and won't let us even go in the front room without "jestering" and lunging towards you. It is close to the front door and I had a friend over - he flew over and bit my ear even though I was like 4 feet away from his cage. I would like to take back that part of my house from him!! My husband is getting very irritated about the bird going after him and the kids.

He does not act like this when he is in the back room at all! Totally different bird - he still doesn't love us but will step up for me to put him in the cage and will sit with me on the couch- no touching but will sit with me. :confused::confused::(

amsue0222

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
Well I moved the cage to a corner of the room and he has been marvelous all day- He even hung out and stepped up for me and my oldest daughter. Hopefully this is a long term fix.