• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

territorial over perches

mochalle

Moving in
one of my birds, oran, gets pretty territorial towards the other birds over the perches in the cage. especially at night time, when they’re all trying to get onto the highest perch to sleep and she keeps them off. she also started sitting on a new perch i added, and is starting to kick the others off of that one too. i‘m guessing adding more perches/swings for everyone to sit on would be a good idea, but is there any way to have her share more?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Well I'm not sure, but for me I just discovered which perch was my lovie's favourite, and then put some extras on the opposite side of the aviary for the birds that she would kick off. If you put treats or something by her favourite perch maybe it will give the other birds a chance to sit on the opposite perch without being pushed off by her? (bc shes too distracted) Good luck, I know what a pain it is to have a territorial/unsharing bird!!

mochalle

Moving in
Well I'm not sure, but for me I just discovered which perch was my lovie's favourite, and then put some extras on the opposite side of the aviary for the birds that she would kick off. If you put treats or something by her favourite perch maybe it will give the other birds a chance to sit on the opposite perch without being pushed off by her? (bc shes too distracted) Good luck, I know what a pain it is to have a territorial/unsharing bird!!
Thank you! That’s a great idea, I’m already hoping to buy more perches anyways. As for the millet, I’ll give that a try as well :)