• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Terrified rehomed grey

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
ohh, guess i have to work more on stepping up right now she just looks confused when i try to get her to step up (currently teaching targeting). Yesterday she ate a bit of fruits, not exactly veggies but healthier than just constantly eating sunflower seeds. she tasted it but dropped most of it, guess i will need to chop it up smaller.
Chop stuff up into different sizes. It’s crazy. Carrots, for example:

I use baby carrots. I put one or two whole ones in there, and a few that are chopped into different sizes. Tiny pieces, larger chunks, thin slivers, etc.

On any given day, he will prefer one type of cut to another, and there’s no logic to it.

Reactions: tka

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Ira is right. Paco will eat frozen (warmed up of course) cubed carrots, will not eat them raw, sliced or in a stick. There is no logic. One person here told us she cuts fruit into stars. I actually started Paco on warm oat meal. Then I put the oatmeal on broccoli. Then I tried brown rice and moved onto cauliflower rice. I would put smooshed sweet potatoes on the rice. Even if he doesn't eat it, he gets a taste of it. Now I cut the sweet potatoes into cubes. He likes them firm not soft. Sliced apples, try different sizes, he likes them slim so he can hold it. Another fave but it makes watery poo is cucumber slices. He didn't like peas, I smooshed them first, he prefers them whole. I would slowly reduce the sunflower seeds if you can. Have you tried unsalted pumpkin seeds? Paco flips over them. I can't find any that don't cost an arm and a leg, so I bake as many as I can at Halloween. Have you tried corn on the cob? Fresh pineapple, pears, green or red peppers? Yellow and green squash. Grate it some, chop, slice it, make big sticks, little sticks. I know I sound crazy but its what I did to get him to try different things. I still struggle and its been 2 years. He won't go near chop or any green leafy vegetable. He isn't on the best diet but it sure has improved from what he was on. Trust me some days he just throws food at me and I feel like picking the food up and throwing it back at him. LOL the struggle is real. Oh and don't forget banana's. Also eat in front of her, she might be interested if she sees you eat. I need to start target training Paco but I don't know where to begin.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Chop stuff up into different sizes. It’s crazy. Carrots, for example:

I use baby carrots. I put one or two whole ones in there, and a few that are chopped into different sizes. Tiny pieces, larger chunks, thin slivers, etc.

On any given day, he will prefer one type of cut to another, and there’s no logic to it.
Ira is right. Paco will eat frozen (warmed up of course) cubed carrots, will not eat them raw, sliced or in a stick. There is no logic. One person here told us she cuts fruit into stars. I actually started Paco on warm oat meal. Then I put the oatmeal on broccoli. Then I tried brown rice and moved onto cauliflower rice. I would put smooshed sweet potatoes on the rice. Even if he doesn't eat it, he gets a taste of it. Now I cut the sweet potatoes into cubes. He likes them firm not soft. Sliced apples, try different sizes, he likes them slim so he can hold it. Another fave but it makes watery poo is cucumber slices. He didn't like peas, I smooshed them first, he prefers them whole. I would slowly reduce the sunflower seeds if you can. Have you tried unsalted pumpkin seeds? Paco flips over them. I can't find any that don't cost an arm and a leg, so I bake as many as I can at Halloween. Have you tried corn on the cob? Fresh pineapple, pears, green or red peppers? Yellow and green squash. Grate it some, chop, slice it, make big sticks, little sticks. I know I sound crazy but its what I did to get him to try different things. I still struggle and its been 2 years. He won't go near chop or any green leafy vegetable. He isn't on the best diet but it sure has improved from what he was on. Trust me some days he just throws food at me and I feel like picking the food up and throwing it back at him. LOL the struggle is real. Oh and don't forget banana's. Also eat in front of her, she might be interested if she sees you eat. I need to start target training Paco but I don't know where to begin.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will try oatmeal and maybe rice, whole grain pasta too. She hates large pieces of vegetable and would just throw them out of the cage. Large pieces of sticky fruit she wont pick up with her feet so she just drops the rest. Small chopped bananas and papaya she will eat. And she likes pumpkin seeds because i tricked her she thought i was holding (pinching) sunflower seeds snd she picked it up and tasted it. After 4 tries she started to like it. I will try everything on her.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco is the same way, doesn't like big pieces. For example, broccoli, it can't be to large, so I cut it up in small pieces, not tiny. I also noticed its a texture thing for him, like soft sweet potato? Nope, but if its a little firm and in a cube he eats it. I found veggie noodles, read the ingredients. I have ones made from spinach, beets, and carrots. Make it a game and have fun experimenting.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
There are a gazillion vegetables I’m sure you haven’t even tried yet. And forget rice. We’re talking VEGETABLES!

Have you tried fresh beets? Broccoli and cauliflower? Radishes? Zucchini? Peppers? Spinach? Kale? Parsnips and turnips? Dandelion leaves?

I can list a dozen more, but I hope you get the point.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Also, it doesn’t matter if the bird disposes of it like it’s garbage.

It’s still our responsibility to provide it.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I just mentioned rice as a stepping stone. I was at the end of my rope with Paco, I tried every vegetable imagined. That's when I read about oats, rice and then I saw the cauliflower rice in the frozen section, I would put little pieces of broccoli in with the cauliflower rice and went from there. He still won't eat cauliflower, I guess cause it white? Who knows what goes on in their little bird brain.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Food can be such a mystery and a struggle. Monaco is the same way about carrots and cauliflower specifically. Several of the newest veggies have been from frozen blends. The fat/wide green beans are okay, but I haven't seen any other variety even tasted. But it's taken a year to get here. I figure anything they don't want today is just temporary, not right now, thanks, maybe next time.

Keep trying. I like quinoa for a warm treat, it's got a lot of protein. I also like it because it can stick to veggies and possibly disguise them.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Another good one is a hard boiled egg with out the yolk. I read on here, it has a lot of protein. Another one Paco will eat once in a while is canned string beans, of course I get organic, no sodium. The list is endless, just keep trying, don't get discouraged. Paco will eat a banana one morning the next day throw it at me. I am going to try the quinoa.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Another good one is a hard boiled egg with out the yolk. I read on here, it has a lot of protein. Another one Paco will eat once in a while is canned string beans, of course I get organic, no sodium. The list is endless, just keep trying, don't get discouraged. Paco will eat a banana one morning the next day throw it at me. I am going to try the quinoa.
Nothing wrong with the yolk, but I recommend quail eggs instead. The size makes more sense. Archie gets a serving of 4 once a week.

The yolks can be “bad” if you overboil the egg. Supposedly, it develops some poisonous (though not immediately or deadly poisonous) quality like arsenic or cyanide. I forget which.

So for quail eggs, 4 to 5 minutes tops and you’re good to go. A little white vinegar in the water makes them easier to peel.

I don’t give Archie the shells, although I know many people do.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
I just mentioned rice as a stepping stone. I was at the end of my rope with Paco, I tried every vegetable imagined. That's when I read about oats, rice and then I saw the cauliflower rice in the frozen section, I would put little pieces of broccoli in with the cauliflower rice and went from there. He still won't eat cauliflower, I guess cause it white? Who knows what goes on in their little bird brain.
I buy this small bag which has both broccoli and cauliflower in it, little pieces. I think they call it “floretes.”

Have you tried serving this stuff both raw and steamed? Archie eats it raw, but I steam it sometimes to confuse him!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I don't recommend the yolk in eggs as Greys are prone to Atherosclerosis and yolks are not good for them I too buy the florets, don't get chopped veggies they are full of stems. @Monaco you are so right, what they don't like today they will gobble up tomorrow. I don't try and figure them out, it will drive you nuts if you do. Just offer a variety and hope for the best. Thank goodness veggies are cheap!

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Also, it doesn’t matter if the bird disposes of it like it’s garbage.

It’s still our responsibility to provide it.
Food can be such a mystery and a struggle. Monaco is the same way about carrots and cauliflower specifically. Several of the newest veggies have been from frozen blends. The fat/wide green beans are okay, but I haven't seen any other variety even tasted. But it's taken a year to get here. I figure anything they don't want today is just temporary, not right now, thanks, maybe next time.

Keep trying. I like quinoa for a warm treat, it's got a lot of protein. I also like it because it can stick to veggies and possibly disguise them.
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!! Dolly is happily taking my vegetable mix i feed my other parrots (I chop 7 different types of vegetables in a food processor every 2-3 days (veggies differs depending on what is in season)). I had to force her to try it yesterday kind of scared me a bit, thought I might starve her yesterday but all she needed was the encouragement to start eating it and now she is happily eating it, she will non stop eat if i put in some fruits with the veggies im trying to decrease the fruits to the right amount slowly. Didn't even need to try the rice like some of the birds i take in had to. She is even snacking on pellets in between feedings. found out she is a bit grossed out by touching sticky fruits and veggies so i need to chop them up into tiny pieces, good thing my other parrots also enjoy the smaller pieces. I still offer different shapes and sizes of food sometimes for enrichment. I'm thinking because she was never offered anything other than sunflower seeds, she didn't know the veggies and fruits were food, just needed a nudge to get her to try new foods.

I need to work more on training now, i have been busy lately and haven't spend as much time beside her cage. for the other birds they are out of the cage as long as someone is watching them but for now she still need training to even just go on my hand. She's eating pretty good but i will still need to really work on the bond.

Last edited:

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!! Dolly is happily taking my vegetable mix i feed my other parrots (I chop 7 different types of vegetables in a food processor every 2-3 days (veggies differs depending on what is in season)). I had to force her to try it yesterday kind of scared me a bit, thought I might starve her yesterday but all she needed was the encouragement to start eating it and now she is happily eating it, she will non stop eat if i put in some fruits with the veggies im trying to decrease the fruits to the right amount slowly. Didn't even need to try the rice like some of the birds i take in had to. She is even snacking on pellets in between feedings. found out she is a bit grossed out by touching sticky fruits and veggies so i need to chop them up into tiny pieces, good thing my other parrots also enjoy the smaller pieces. I still offer different shapes and sizes of food sometimes for enrichment. I'm thinking because she was never offered anything other than sunflower seeds, she didn't know the veggies and fruits were food, just needed a nudge to get her to try new foods.

I need to work more on training now, i have been busy lately and haven't spend as much time beside her cage. for the other birds they are out of the cage as long as someone is watching them but for now she still need training to even just go on my hand. She's eating pretty good but i will still need to really work on the bond.
I’m a proponent of not doing multi-ingredient chops, feeding the same mix for days in a row.

I prefer to only offer one or two veggies every day, different veggies every day, more or less.

I want to keep it interesting and different each day, not plop the same crap in his bowl every day.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I’m a proponent of not doing multi-ingredient chops, feeding the same mix for days in a row.

I prefer to only offer one or two veggies every day, different veggies every day, more or less.

I want to keep it interesting and different each day, not plop the same crap in his bowl every day.
Ohh, i usually mix up whats inside the chop every 2-3 days (2-3 ingridients at a time to alter the flavor a bit) and i also add different types of fruit to add to the flavor. Since i live in a tropical country we have a lot of weird fruits here (bird safe) to add to their diets so they aren't eating the same old thing. I would also get bored eating the same old thing, why won’t they, were always my thoughts.

Reactions: Ira

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is all good information for me. I'm about to take in a female grey who has had a bad experience. I don't know all of the details but it sounds like a relationship broke down and life changed for the owners. Once that happened they had very little time for either of their birds. I'll be taking just the grey. I don't see her diet as a problem. Given the choice, she would eat veggies over everything else. She's very skittish and really just needs a quiet environment where she can feel safe. Eventually, I hope to put her out near the other greys so they can interact with each other in adjoining enclosures.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
another update for everyone: She is now happily eating almost everything i offer her, she is even accepting the TOPS pellets now. She also seems like she has adjusted quite well to the house. I have her cage in a pretty busy room and she seems to enjoy the company. can't really trust her around other birds because i have seen her snap at Jinx my conure and Lowy my lovebird. not to mention she plucked and broke the macaw's feathers she was housed with. Stepping up is still a problem but she is starting to seek out my company.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
she is even accepting the TOPS pellets now
Make sure that if you feed tops as the only pellet you either get a lot of unfiltered sun time for her (not through a window) or a supplement with vitamin D3

You’ve made some great progress with her!

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Make sure that if you feed tops as the only pellet you either get a lot of unfiltered sun time for her (not through a window) or a supplement with vitamin D3

You’ve made some great progress with her!
I do give her a bit of tropican but i still give her sun time anyway.

Also a huge update, i didn’t think would happen: yesterday she started stepping up on my hand in the cage so today i let her out and surprise surprise she stepped up on me outside the cage and even started flying to me. I was so suprised at her flight capabilities. She could fly to me from the other side of the room when i call her. She picked up flying to me when called really fast i was so surprised. Once she knew my hand was a stable landing place she flies to me a lot. Although, i am unable to leave her alone since now she just jumps to me whenever im working on the computer :roflmao:. Im still not sure if she likes the company or if she just wants the treat but either way its some good progress. I have never made so much progress in so little time. She is still cautious of other people though.
Here is a pic seconds before she flew on my hand to relax with me on the computer no treats needed.
5987D9B9-B9B5-4778-A395-7E2937EDB3DF.jpeg