• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

terrified after vet visit

animalover

Jogging around the block
ive had real progress with training/taming tweety, I've been working with both budgies for months now, marge is completely comfortable with us, she will sit on our shoulders and step up and give us kisses, unlike her, tweetys progress was slower, he would only step up for millet, and will sometimes allow me to kiss him. but after his vet visit, all that training has gone to waste because he is absolutely terrified of hands now, to make matters worse, my siblings always towel him to put him back in the cage after his free roaming, even tho I keep telling them not to, I only put him back with millet, well now he's more afraid because my brother was toweling him for a while and tweety was screaming for dear life, I obv came out of my room to see what was going on and helped poor tweety go back to his cage before comforting him, he is fine now but even the smallest sight of hands will have him shaking, I will not let them towel him again but I think they do it because it takes quite a bit of time to get him back in with millet, how do I help him get better? I dont want him to be scared of me because I care a lot about him, and I want him to be as comfortable as possible around us. :(

marge~
b8198cd3-fc33-4d79-959a-b17f9a8ad688.jpg 27a3fc77-0f29-4459-84f5-75977e7020a1.jpg marge.png b2b6d3d4-b3ca-4883-b982-d82a4cba5a1c.png

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
ive had real progress with training/taming tweety, I've been working with both budgies for months now, marge is completely comfortable with us, she will sit on our shoulders and step up and give us kisses, unlike her, tweetys progress was slower, he would only step up for millet, and will sometimes allow me to kiss him. but after his vet visit, all that training has gone to waste because he is absolutely terrified of hands now, to make matters worse, my siblings always towel him to put him back in the cage after his free roaming, even tho I keep telling them not to, I only put him back with millet, well now he's more afraid because my brother was toweling him for a while and tweety was screaming for dear life, I obv came out of my room to see what was going on and helped poor tweety go back to his cage before comforting him, he is fine now but even the smallest sight of hands will have him shaking, I will not let them towel him again but I think they do it because it takes quite a bit of time to get him back in with millet, how do I help him get better? I dont want him to be scared of me because I care a lot about him, and I want him to be as comfortable as possible around us. :(

marge~
View attachment 363189 View attachment 363190 View attachment 363191 View attachment 363192
Awh he’s a cutie. Poor baby, if your siblings keep toweling him maybe you can only let him roam free when you’re around to supervise him? That way the toweling can be avoided.
my irn had a time where she gave me some trouble to put her back in her cage but really all you can do is be patient and reward positively when he’s inside, if he’s being persistent and won’t go in, I find that taking a step back and trying again in a few minutes, maybe with another treat, helps.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's really cute. Will he step up on a perch? that may be less scary than hands for right now.

animalover

Jogging around the block
He's really cute. Will he step up on a perch? that may be less scary than hands for right now.
I think a perch scares him more for some reason, ill try again with him tomorrow hopefully once he sees marge comfortable with us he will be too, marge is the one in the pics not him lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
, how do I help him get better?
Talk to your parents. Get them to tell your siblings to stop interacting with the budgies unless offering them treats, and you be the one to return him to the cage after flight time.
Did you not talk with them before after your siblings were throwing your clipped Tiel in the air? If your parents don´t know what is going on they won´t be able to help you.

If the perch is scaring them, you may have better luck offering an extended arm (with closed fist) for them to hop on. I have a lovie who is not keen on hands, but is ok on my arm (between wrist and elbow).