• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Terrible at making grains and legumes. Bird seems to know it lol. Is this frozen quinoa mix parrot safe for chop?

Is this safe to use in my bird's chop? https://pathoflife.com/products/southwest-mango-quinoa-blend/

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Last chop I made, my bird wouldn't eat any of her legumes or grains at all. Personally, I'm a pretty good cook but I suck at making myself beans or rice, never the right texture, so I don't blame her. Wondering what you all think regarding adding this frozen quinoa blend to her next batch of chop; is it parrot safe? Southwest Mango Quinoa Blend | Path of Life I checked out all the ingredients and the only really cause for concern is the tomatoes, which can be given in moderation. I'm sure there's not an abundance of the tomatoes in the bag, and I typically make one hugeee batch of chop and preportion and freeze everything. She's a lovebird and doesn't eat a lot, so my last (and first) batch actually lasted 6 months, despite me only planning for 3. There will be lots of other things thrown in there aside from this bag, and she'll only get about 2-3 spoonfuls of chop a day, so I'm sure the tomato to bite ratio will be pretty low.

Also, this would be my first time using a frozen bag as a short cut. Should I microwave the food, add it all together, and then freeze it into portions? Or something else?

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely @Zara

Might have some advice my birds dont get beans or rice and neither enjoyed frozen chop

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It contains salt, so no.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
check out products like Bird Street Bistro (sold on Amazon too)
It is a quick cook and has a variety of ingredients including quinoa and legumes

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Organic Quinoa and Bean Blend (Water, Organic White Quinoa, Organic Red Quinoa, Organic Black Beans), Mango, Tomatoes, Corn, Olive Oil, Lime Juice from Concentrate, Poblano Peppers, Cilantro, Salt, Black Pepper.

I also would not use it due to the added salt, as well as the olive oil. Olive oil isn't dangerous, but it does add fats that your bird may not need.

Beans and rice are not necessary to add if you can't find anything that makes your life easier :) That said, several companies make pretty easy bird safe blends, such as Higgins Worldly Cuisine's, Bird Street Bistro, Crazy Good Cookin', Kaylor Quick N Ready, Volkman's Fancy Soak and Simmer, Volkman's Birdie Buffet, Things for Wings mashes, Bodacious Birdie Bites Mash.....

I am sure there are others :)

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
check out products like Bird Street Bistro (sold on Amazon too)
It is a quick cook and has a variety of ingredients including quinoa and legumes
omg this is amazing!!!! for what i just paid for groceries and delivery i could've sprung for the variety pack w/ 8 pouches... i bet that would've lasted so long! & now i still have to spend hours cooking everything D: thank you for sharing this!! life changer

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Organic Quinoa and Bean Blend (Water, Organic White Quinoa, Organic Red Quinoa, Organic Black Beans), Mango, Tomatoes, Corn, Olive Oil, Lime Juice from Concentrate, Poblano Peppers, Cilantro, Salt, Black Pepper.

I also would not use it due to the added salt, as well as the olive oil. Olive oil isn't dangerous, but it does add fats that your bird may not need.

Beans and rice are not necessary to add if you can't find anything that makes your life easier :) That said, several companies make pretty easy bird safe blends, such as Higgins Worldly Cuisine's, Bird Street Bistro, Crazy Good Cookin', Kaylor Quick N Ready, Volkman's Fancy Soak and Simmer, Volkman's Birdie Buffet, Things for Wings mashes, Bodacious Birdie Bites Mash.....

I am sure there are others :)
Thank you!! I ended up getting this instead because I needed something so she would have food tomorrow & it doesn't have any added salt, sugar or oils. https://giantfoodstores.com/groceri...in-rice-with-corn-carrots-peas-10-oz-bag.html Think I might still get one of those other things though. Any idea which of these brands might offer the most servings for a single love bird? BSB looks really good (only one I looked at so far).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you!! I ended up getting this instead because I needed something so she would have food tomorrow & it doesn't have any added salt, sugar or oils. https://giantfoodstores.com/groceri...in-rice-with-corn-carrots-peas-10-oz-bag.html Think I might still get one of those other things though. Any idea which of these brands might offer the most servings for a single love bird? BSB looks really good (only one I looked at so far).
Whatever has the biggest bag ;) From memory Volkman's and Higgins have the largest available bags.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I ended up getting this instead because I needed something so she would have food tomorrow & it doesn't have any added salt, sugar or oils.
Whenever you´re in a pinch in the future, don´t panic buy anything. Just grab a pepper and another veg from the grocers, add in a small amount of cooked pasta and I´m sure you can find something else to throw in from your cupboards for a day or two.
I keep frozen veg on hand (green beans and brocoli, some leafy greens too), and I always have carrots, peppers and tomatoes in the fridge, usually lettuces too. I always have lentils in the cupboard to sprout also. I can always whip something together. It´s a good way to live - less stress! ;)

I have found that my birds really tuck on in to fresh foods, but not so much with thawed. If you can avoid freezing, then do it. I only freeze when I travel, I leave two days food in the fridge and two days in the freezer for my partner to feed the birds.

Try to just make small amounts of your mix, a spoonful at a time, and then add some fresh veggies and keep in an air tight container in the fridge for 3 days. Add seed and pellets on the day to avoid them going mushy.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Whenever you´re in a pinch in the future, don´t panic buy anything. Just grab a pepper and another veg from the grocers, add in a small amount of cooked pasta and I´m sure you can find something else to throw in from your cupboards for a day or two.
I keep frozen veg on hand (green beans and brocoli, some leafy greens too), and I always have carrots, peppers and tomatoes in the fridge, usually lettuces too. I always have lentils in the cupboard to sprout also. I can always whip something together. It´s a good way to live - less stress! ;)

I have found that my birds really tuck on in to fresh foods, but not so much with thawed. If you can avoid freezing, then do it. I only freeze when I travel, I leave two days food in the fridge and two days in the freezer for my partner to feed the birds.

Try to just make small amounts of your mix, a spoonful at a time, and then add some fresh veggies and keep in an air tight container in the fridge for 3 days. Add seed and pellets on the day to avoid them going mushy.
Thank you! Yes I’ll try to keep that in mind for next time. I think I’m definitely going to change the way I offer seeds. My bird doesn’t mind frozen or thawed chop at all, usually I thaw 3 days worth and add enough seeds the first day to last throughout all 3 days, serve, and pop the rest back in the fridge. Based on your message, I think the seeds going mushy might be leading to some of the hormonal behavior I’ve been noticing!

also first time using frozen veggies to make her food and it was suchhh a breeze! What setting do you use on a blender/food processor to get the right consistency on the frozen green beans and broccoli?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What setting do you use on a blender/food processor to get the right consistency on the frozen green beans and broccoli?
I have a mini Bosch processor, and I put everything in and pulse it a couple of times until the large pieces are smaller but not blended into a puré.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Okay so I checked out Bird Street Bistro and my bird food supplier when I shop online (Northern Parrots) has this in 8 varieties. Seeing as it's fairly new there, there is only 1 review. So, which one would you suggest for macaw and cockatoo. They don't have the appleberry one yet. It's due in November.
Has anyone tried this and would your birds recommend it?