• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Terrible at being a bird?

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
Anyone else have birds that can't seem to fly well enough to not just thud into a tomato plant... Mine seem awful at flying.... Fortunatley they make up for this by doing funky dances and kissing

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
How long have they been able to fly? They might just be clumsy because they're new and don't really know how.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wouldn´t say that lack of flight mkes them ¨terrible at being a bird¨, sometimes these things happen.

Do they get plenty of time out of the cage to fly?
Eat pellets and veggies?
Have you spoken to your vet about this?

Try to make the room safe so they´re not crashing into things as much, and line areas with blankets to soften any falls.

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
I wouldn´t say that lack of flight mkes them ¨terrible at being a bird¨, sometimes these things happen.

Do they get plenty of time out of the cage to fly?
Eat pellets and veggies?
Have you spoken to your vet about this?

Try to make the room safe so they´re not crashing into things as much, and line areas with blankets to soften any falls.
I suppose I should clarify, I am not trying to be rude to my boys, I love the crap out of them. I am only saying they are terrible at being a bird cause they are bad at doing what birds do best. As for nutrition they are very picky but do like some broccoli from time to time

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would still bring this up with your vet if I were you. It could be they´re deficient in something or lacking something, or there was some existing problem before you got them.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
To be fair, chickens are great at being birds and they can't fly. If anything, they are smart and lazy birds because they know they don't need to fly to get food and their big wingless owner chases away predators. One of my budgies has become a much better flyer with a change in diet and lots of practice. But I had a disabled cockatiel that never quite learned how to fly either.

They would be really bad birds if they learned how to roast a turkey or something.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hopefully they don’t crash too hard, I’ve heard some awful stories about injuries birdies have gotten from crashing into a wall :( It’s definitely worth it to try and help them fly better. I’m not sure all that you’re doing for your birdies right now, but as Zara said you should line any walls or places they crash into a lot with pillows or blankets.

I also have a little budgie learning to fly right now, and I’ve learned that giving him plenty of places to land, showing him those places where he can land around the room, and also showing him all the walls and possible crash zones have helped him a lot.

Sorry! I know this was just a silly post, but I’d hate to see another accidental tragedy from a bird not flying well. Good luck with them :heart:

elena_2004

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
Anyone else have birds that can't seem to fly well enough to not just thud into a tomato plant... Mine seem awful at flying.... Fortunatley they make up for this by doing funky dances and kissing
Depends how old they are, and how often they are given the chance to do so.

I have had my lorikeet since he was a baby - 1 year old now - he is always out of his cage and is never tempted to fly. When he does try he simply crashes if I don't catch him on time.

In fact we' ve nicknamed him as the "Crash Lander"

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Lol, I identify with your bird. I suck at sprints and hurdles and other "basic human skills," myself.

I think of flight as just one more form of athleticism, with birds having as wide an array of talent as human athletes. I have one amazing flier, one who's so-so but actually starting to develop some pretty good moves, and a third who is basically in physical therapy to recover from total muscle atrophy and a fear of falling. (She's making progress too! For the longest time, if she couldn't cross a gap by reaching with her beak to climb across, she was trapped. She's now up to flying five feet in a straight line, and she's even started playing around with the idea of ascending).

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Lol, I identify with your bird. I suck at sprints and hurdles and other "basic human skills," myself.

I think of flight as just one more form of athleticism, with birds having as wide an array of talent as human athletes. I have one amazing flier, one who's so-so but actually starting to develop some pretty good moves, and a third who is basically in physical therapy to recover from total muscle atrophy and a fear of falling. (She's making progress too! For the longest time, if she couldn't cross a gap by reaching with her beak to climb across, she was trapped. She's now up to flying five feet in a straight line, and she's even started playing around with the idea of ascending).
This is so true. I mean, most pet birds would never cut it in the wild. Wild birds are basically Olympians. Pet birds are like amateur weekend warriors that love watching the Olympics lol. Confidence makes a big difference too. My one bird needs a lot of encouragement from myself and the other bird. I’ve noticed that he will get timid for a few days after a bad landing. They really are like humans.