• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Termites!

Jean20057

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Soooo, we have termites. Does anybody know how long we'd have to get Lily out of the house? They don't appear to be bad enough for fumigation, but we definitely need to deal with it. Any help would be amazing!

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Soooo, we have termites. Does anybody know how long we'd have to get Lily out of the house? They don't appear to be bad enough for fumigation, but we definitely need to deal with it. Any help would be amazing!
There are other methods. Ask your exterminator. The residue after fumigation will be everywhere.

Jean20057

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
I don't believe fumigation will be necessary. They are only contained to a single corner in a room.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Find out what the chemical the exterminator is planning to use and then research that chemical and the safety requirements of it.

Jean20057

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
My husband used to do extermination for a living, and told me none of the chemicals they use are safe enough to stay in the house with birds. Just need to know how long we need to stay away. Not trying to be rude, but this is a bit time sensitive. I apologize if it's coming across rude or nasty.

Rebel

My husband used to do extermination for a living, and told me none of the chemicals they use are safe enough to stay in the house with birds. Just need to know how long we need to stay away. Not trying to be rude, but this is a bit time sensitive. I apologize if it's coming across rude or nasty.
You really should call the chemical manufacturer. Chances are slim that anyone here has ever dealt with termite chemicals. You may get an opinion, but facts are what you need.

Jean20057

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Ok, I can try. I just didn't know if someone here had termites or not.

Jean20057

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
So the pest guys will be using termidor. He said we wouldn't have to remove Lily, but I still don't trust it. I did contact the manufacturer, but haven't Heard anything yet.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am a property manager for 3 buildings. Whenever we have had to get treated for ants, the tenants are told to stay out for 8 hrs minimum, and 12 if they have cats or dogs. So assuming it would be longer for birds. Have never treated a unit that had birds yet…

we use Orkin as our exterminator company.

Rebel

So the pest guys will be using termidor. He said we wouldn't have to remove Lily, but I still don't trust it. I did contact the manufacturer, but haven't Heard anything yet.
Dont believe a thing that guy says.
Are they actually applying it in the house or just around the perimeter of the basement?

Last edited:

Jean20057

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
They are not applying it inside the house, just outside around the perimeter, and under the house.

Rebel

They are not applying it inside the house, just outside around the perimeter, and under the house.
I would just keep the widows shut for a few days at least. Other than that, i dont think you have anything to worry about.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Jean20057

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
The only problem I'm seeming to find is that we have roaches too, and the termidor works the same on them. So we're worried that the roaches will get to Lily and crawl all over her stuff. We have a place to go for a few days, but it can't be a permanent situation. Found this online:

Rebel

The only problem I'm seeming to find is that we have roaches too, and the termidor works the same on them. So we're worried that the roaches will get to Lily and crawl all over her stuff. We have a place to go for a few days, but it can't be a permanent situation. Found this online:
If you have a place to go then perhaps thats the best thing to do.