• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Termites...

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
So stressed.... the house I'm renting apparently has TERMITES. Now I have to figure out how to relocate the birds while they do treatment. They will be injecting product around the perimeter of the house as well as injecting foam into the walls on the inside of the house – luckily it's not fumigation, but I'm still worried about keeping the cages in the house and any residual chemicals. Paisley's cage is WAY too big to relocate and would need to be disassembled if I were to do that. I was assured that the foam should not off gas, but does anyone have any thoughts about the chemicals getting on her perches/toys/etc? Her room is on the other side of the house where they'll be injecting foam.

Paisley is still sick with all of her infections and barely stable. I have no idea what to do since her cage is too big to relocate as well. I feel like the stress of moving her around is going to make her sicker. Ugh, it's just one thing after another.

My parents have a large untrained dog and are hours away, my friends smoke weed, and I'm not comfortable boarding because she's so sensitive to infections. Does anyone have any advice? I was thinking the birds would need to be out of the house for at least a week, but am so worried about the stress making her AG flare and infections worse :(

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would it be possible to ask your vet if they could board Paisley? If they are willing maybe it would be easier for you and her if she's in a environment she might be more familiar with and people who can more readily help her if her condition does worsen

I think I also read in a post before that someone had taken their bird to a motel for a few days while their home was being treated

If neither are options then I would at least get Paisley out of the house in a carrier during the treatment process for as long as possible (at least a day) and keeping her room well ventilated with fresh air before bringing her back. Running an air purifier would probably help too. I would remove all the toys and perches from the cage and bring them with you if you do board or keep them stored safely (bagged/boxed) to keep from potential chemical residue and I would definitely cover the cage as well and then wipe down with f10 before putting Paisley back in it

I'm sorry that you're having to stress about all this :(