• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tequila

pgol21

Moving in
Real Name
Peter
Hi Everyone! I'm Peter, my conures name is Tequila. Tequila is 10 months old (he'll be turning one in March!). I am a very big pet person, I have 3 Guinea Pigs, a dog, and now a conure!! I am Tequilas second owner, his first one returned him due to biting. Although Tequila is a bit nippy, most of the time he just likes exploring and climbing things. That said, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks on how to stop Tequila from biting.

Additionally, as a first-time bird parent, I was hoping anyone had any recommendations on bird food brands? I've been recommended Zupreme and Kaytee.

Thanks!!

Attachments

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup: Welcome, Peter! Tequila is very cute :heart:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:greet13:hi!
What a cutie Tequila is! I love her pink blush!

Gcc moods zip along fast. My girl sure makes me work to keep up!

It takes some practice to read burd body language. GCC will usually crouch to warn you . So stop and wait. If you missed the cues and get a nip. I say no in a regular voice and shift off of you to the chair or perch or what's nearby. A few second ir a minute I let them step back up. If they are kind if exploratory bites I say be careful.

Can you share what situation are leading to bites?

and a tip when you first let them out if the Cage their energy and excitement can be high. I let mine out of the cage and chat with her a minute or two before interacting.

Safflower seeds are good bribes and treats.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I prefer Zupreem to Kaytee but would feed either. I do prefer pellets without sugar and dyes, but the birds don't always :lol:

For my green cheek when she bit, I would sit her down on the closest safe surface, give her a mean look (like super exaggerated), and m turn my back on her. After a few moments we would try again. We speak different languages but body language is harder to ignore!

Just in case, as I see a cartridge in your photo, vaping around birds can be deadly for them. I know photos aren't the whole story, but figured I would mention it :)

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Welcome Peter. He sounds awesome. All birds deserve second chances, thanks for being the person to do so!

Jay

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave:

I prefer Zupreem to Kaytee but would feed either. I do prefer pellets without sugar and dyes, but the birds don't always :lol:

For my green cheek when she bit, I would sit her down on the closest safe surface, give her a mean look (like super exaggerated), and m turn my back on her. After a few moments we would try again. We speak different languages but body language is harder to ignore!

Just in case, as I see a cartridge in your photo, vaping around birds can be deadly for them. I know photos aren't the whole story, but figured I would mention it :)
Best way to train a conure from biting is just what Shawna said you will need to persist with this until you get the desired results.

Avoid interacting with your conure if they have fluffed feathers and they have there belly on the floor you get to close your gonna get it, stutting with a quite shrill squak is also a warning to keep away.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome!! :hello1:

My feathered kids prefer Zupreem. I’ve tried a few other brands, but that seems to be the favorite for all.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Welcome so gorgeous looks like he’s wearing blusher :heart:

pgol21

Moving in
Real Name
Peter
Hi Pixiebeak!

There aren't really any specific situations that lead him to bite. Whenever I come home the first thing he does is be loud as to get my attention. Once I take him out of the cage he is nice for a few minutes. After a bit, he begins to explore. Then he ends up randomly biting my fingers, hair, or any items nearby. I usually take him and put him on a perch until he calms down now. My friend recommended saying no in a deep voice so that he can differentiate good tones from bad.

I appreciate the advice about chatting with him when first letting him out of his cage!!

I also have another question that I am not sure you will have the answer to. Today I noticed that the feathers on his head (around the red spot on his forehead) are turning black. I cannot tell if they are black or dark red. My friend said they may be due to blood feathers from new pin feathers growing. I am going to wait and see if it goes away. However, I have read that feather discoloration is due to emotional/physical stress. I do not think that Tequila is stressed. He purrs when he is with me, and he does a wing flap of excitement when cuddling. Do you have any advice about this?? I may also just be overdramatic due to my care for him and my concern.

I would also like to say that I took him to the vet a few days ago and the vet said that he seems very healthy and happy.

I appreciate your advice and time!!
Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:

pgol21

Moving in
Real Name
Peter

Hi Mizzely,

I appreciate your advice!!

I have already spoken with someone about the vape in my photo. I have been vape free for 21 days. I am trying to create the safest and healthiest environment for Tequila as possible, and if that means I must quit vaping then so be it. :)

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue Peter