• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tentatively rehoming Forsten Lorikeet

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Hi all! I have a Forsten Lorikeet named Basil. Shes very sweet in many ways. Unfortunately the primary reason for rehoming her is that I simply cannot handle her anymore. While she is the sweet bird shes always been (super awesome loves to cuddle, lick my face, and is overall sweet), a few years ago she started attacking my hands (and just mine, nobody elses) and I can not pinpoint why. I also cannot simply put her away when she does this because it is random. I can tell shes about to do it only a millisecond beforehand so there is no way for me to catch the behavior before it happens. For this reason, her out of cage time has been drastically reduced because I am, quite frankly, petrified of getting her to latch onto my hands for seemingly no reason.

After some thought, I would not be surprised if it's the fact I clip her nails myself. I grab her with a cloth towel but she probably still sees my hands as the enemy for this reason. That would be my only guess.

I've worked on trying to figure out the trigger to avoid doing it, and work on training it away. But without identifying a trigger, there is not any way for me to do this.
She does not do this to the others in my household.

She is not bird friendly and will attack all other birds - typical lorikeet. She is super interactive, not horribly noisy (she makes a lot of constant noises but they aren't ear piercing by any means). Shes a lot of fun with the typical lorikeet banter! She does not hop, though. I believe that is primarily a male behavior. I could be wrong, but she hasn't hopped since shes been a baby.

She cannot talk but she loves to whistle and sing. She is DNA tested female, and I have that paperwork proof somewhere. Not clipped, can fly. She prefers to stay on you or designated play stands; does not run off to get into trouble.

Another behavioral fault with her is that she will bite you if you have treats or food she wants. I give her treats through cage bars. Can probably fix this behavior with some work.

Steps up totally fine, never bites when stepping up and will HAPPILY hop onto your hand anytime you put it out to her. She doesn't play any tricks or biting games! TOTAL FRICKEN SWEETHEART. Will ride your shoulder all day and be very invested in what you're doing, hanging upside down on your shirt when you bend over, etc. Wants to be in way of everything :)

So a mixture of my fear of handling her and the fact she cannot come out with my other parrots. Before when I could handle her better without fear, we had a nice system going where she'd get late night time with me and randomly through the day. But now, I just interact with her through the cage bars and take her out to walk around with me occasionally. It's not fair.

If anyone has any other advice I'm all ears, but I've tried to figure out how to train to get this behavior curbed. I have failed.

She would come with her cage, toys and remainder of her food.

I live in the VA Beach area. I am pretty nervous about this whole thing. I have no trust in anyone.

Last edited:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Dang, I wish I could help! I'm finally in the same state as someone and can't do much :arghh:

I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm not even sure what advice to offer... And I can't think of anyone else who has a lorikeet. I wish you the absolute best though, and hope that this is something someone can help with!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry you're going through this. I would start by having a,vet do her nails. My vet always says it's better for him to be the bad guy than me. Have you checked out any resources like Barbara Heidenreich or Pamela Clarke? They are behaviorists that might have advice on how to reset your relationship so to speak.

Molly

Moving in
Real Name
Molly Shiley
I had a GCC and she would sometimes bite me if she didn't want to go back in her cage. When she would bite I would say in a lower deeper voice (I'm female so it wasn't very deep), 'gentle' and then I would 'ladder' her and have her step up on one hand and then the other repeatedly a few times. I tried my best not to react or jerk back when she bit. Then I would talk to her calmly after she was in the cage and explain to her my plans for the day and when she would be out again. Then I would end it with a smile and talking to her in a more peppy voice. She would calm down. She was a green cheek so she always was a bit nippy but she got much better with time and it was quite tolerable. It got so she would just do little bites to express her displeasure.
I hope this helps.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I had a GCC and she would sometimes bite me if she didn't want to go back in her cage. When she would bite I would say in a lower deeper voice (I'm female so it wasn't very deep), 'gentle' and then I would 'ladder' her and have her step up on one hand and then the other repeatedly a few times. I tried my best not to react or jerk back when she bit. Then I would talk to her calmly after she was in the cage and explain to her my plans for the day and when she would be out again. Then I would end it with a smile and talking to her in a more peppy voice. She would calm down. She was a green cheek so she always was a bit nippy but she got much better with time and it was quite tolerable. It got so she would just do little bites to express her displeasure.
I hope this helps.
I appreciate your response and I am familiar with GCC nippy dispositions. Unfortunately a GCC and a Lorikeet are two insanely different things and what I am dealing with is different. If I tried that with her she would get increasingly wound up, bite harder. She doesn't let go and stays in attack mode the moment she bites me. Nothing stops her, and she jumps at the cage still incredibly heightened wanting to bite more.

These bites are too painful for me to be patient with in that regard and they're very reinforcing to her just getting to bite at all, allowing the behavior only worsens it.

If I could tell before she gets in this mode I'd be better with it but unfortunately the only signal I get she's about to latch on is just a tiny few milliseconds and nothing I can realistically react to.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Sorry you're going through this. I would start by having a,vet do her nails. My vet always says it's better for him to be the bad guy than me. Have you checked out any resources like Barbara Heidenreich or Pamela Clarke? They are behaviorists that might have advice on how to reset your relationship so to speak.
Thank you for your feedback; I am aware of these trainers and they have helped me a lot with my own battles with various members of my flock.

This issue I've been trying to work on for a long, long time and I no longer do her nails in a negative way (we've got into a good little routine where she gets treats and has her nails hanging through a barred cage door).

I've never made progress... She only really does it to me on a regular basis. Anyone else she does not.