• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me more about your red bellies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotsa Birds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sandy
After looking at Rudy pic's, I've fallen in love with red bellies. I have room, and one nice extra cage for one more bird. I've been looking into red bellies, and met some babies a few days ago.

Can anyone that owns one give me insight into their personalities? Male or female, is their a difference? The baby I am thinking about getting could be either, as I will be finishing its handfeeding (I have fed out many babies, greys, eclectus, amazons, quakers) and won't know the sex, unless I pay to have the clutch sexed beforehand. Of course the males are more colorful, but I really don't care as long as they both make good pets.

What type of toys do they like? What about the fear/phobic stage I've read about, has anyones went through that? Do they get along with other birds? Thanks for any info!

Sandy

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I do not want to be the voice of negativity,BUT from My experience with the RB is that a Female can and generally will remain tame and sweet throughout her life:) A Male on the other hand,turn into Jekyll and Hyde when reaching Maturity!They are Very BIG Birds in small bodies:) My RBs were afraid of nothing,would play with anything,eat anything,talk up a storm and Love cuddles and tickles when they wanted to! BUT after Rocky was about 5 years old:omg:He became down right vicious:eek:SO Just beware that If You get a Male-You might face some problems later on! They really are alot of Fun and very entertaining-BUT I would not recommend them for Novice Fid Parronts:)

Lotsa Birds

Real Name
Sandy
I My RBs were afraid of nothing
Thanks for the info. It helps to hear from someone that owns, or has had one before then to just read what info I can find on them online. Did any of yours go through a phobic stage? I do have three greys, so I don't know why I'm concerned about that. I'm not sure if I'm getting one, they are just a bird that has really interested me. I'm hoping he/she will have the playful attitude of my TAG.

Thanks Bonnie! Sandy

Lotsa Birds

Real Name
Sandy
I did get a baby, just yesterday. It was a early Christmas present :)He/she is a real cutie, just 5 weeks old. I'll try and post some pic's soon, its just a little grey baby now, the orange is starting to come out on the head and chest (faintly) and the beautiful sea green coloring is coming out on the legs. It also has the sea green tail sprouting out. I may have him/her DNA'd, or may wait until it gets older to see what sex it is. I have a hunch its a little girl.....
Sandy

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Do you actually have him/her? Or is s/he still at the breeders? They need to be completely weaned before bringing them home....
I hope you did a lot of research before fully deciding. There area few other RB owners you could have talked to about them. Saroj has a male and birdlover has a female. Congrats!

ciesana

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
Wow, that was fast!

Eddie is around 4 or 5 and is a very sweet little bird most of the time. He has crazy temper tantrums sometimes, and can be a real handful. I've only had him since August, but I *love* being a red-bellied parrot owner. I had a bit of worry with him being phobic when I first got him, but he's calmed down as he's learned to trust me.

I agree though--if the baby is only 5 weeks I hope you are still handfeeding, or it is still with the breeder?

drop

^^
The baby I am thinking about getting could be either, as I will be finishing its handfeeding (I have fed out many babies, greys, eclectus, amazons, quakers) and won't know the sex, unless I pay to have the clutch sexed beforehand.
I think Sandy's got it covered, the baby is in good hands ;)

Congrats on the new Red-Bellied! Will you be sexing him or her or waiting for the colors to come out? I believe most babies look like the males (with a few exceptions where the female with have a green belly in her first plumage). I think if it were me, I would wait to have a surprise... but then again I'd have to choose a unisex name. Hmm, decisions.

I can't wait to see pictures.

Lotsa Birds

Real Name
Sandy
Do you actually have him/her? Or is s/he still at the breeders? They need to be completely weaned before bringing them home....
I hope you did a lot of research before fully deciding. There area few other RB owners you could have talked to about them. Saroj has a male and birdlover has a female. Congrats!
Thank you, I'm happy to have a new baby :)

And yes, I have done a lot of research before getting one. I think I have read everything on the web regarding Red Bellies, my eyes are sore..... I posted on here to get some more personal info.

And also, he/she is home. I have a lot of experience hand feeding, which is why I have it now. I have fed out greys, OWA's, quakers, cockatiels and a lot of eclectus for breeders. My TAG was a baby I raised from 6 weeks, I raised her clutch of 4 until they were weaned. I also work for someone that has a parrot rescue, have hand fed many macaws she has taken in. So bringing it home early is not a problem :) I would have never tried handfeeding, or recommend anyone to bring home a baby unless they know what they are getting into and have experience doing it.

Thanks again, its great having a baby at home.

Sandy

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Congrats Sandy...your lil birdy is lucky to have you for a mommy

Lotsa Birds

Real Name
Sandy
^^

I think Sandy's got it covered, the baby is in good hands ;)

Congrats on the new Red-Bellied! Will you be sexing him or her or waiting for the colors to come out? I believe most babies look like the males (with a few exceptions where the female with have a green belly in her first plumage). I think if it were me, I would wait to have a surprise... but then again I'd have to choose a unisex name. Hmm, decisions.

I can't wait to see pictures.
Thanks! I would like to know what it is, just for naming reasons. But I think I will go with a unisex name, and wait for the surprise. I've talked to breeders that say the males will have a darker orange belly, but the breeder of this bird said not to go by that and have it sexed. So far it has about 4 little orange pins on its belly. I am kinda hoping its a girl, but it really doesn't matter.

Sandy

Lotsa Birds

Real Name
Sandy
Congrats Sandy...your lil birdy is lucky to have you for a mommy
And THANK YOU AND RICH AND DICK, its a wonderful Christmas present!! (Tanya has the rescue where I work). We sure do love our little grey chicken!

Sandy

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Congrats on the new baby. :D I have a female who's 3 going on 4(not sure of her hatch date). She's a great little bird. She loves loves my husband. She is the sweetest cutest thing with him. Me she's not so sure of. When she first came home she had a lot more paranoid moments then what she has now which isn't often at all. She's still slightly cage bound from her previous owner not taking her out so have yet to see her true adventurous side but it's starting to show.
Toys she loves any toy. Love to chew on wood and paper.
Good Luck with your baby hope to see some pictures.;)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
pictures!!:D

drop

What a little cutie. Did you chose a name yet?

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
AWWWW she looks so sweet(PROUD AUNTIE TANYA...BEAMING...)

Lotsa Birds

Real Name
Sandy
What a little cutie. Did you chose a name yet?
Thanks. Not yet.... I pretty sure she is a girl (light orange belly, and a few of the older ones had a orange head, hers is grey). I'm still trying to think of one, I like Breeze, Emma and Makenna, but am open for suggestions.

I'm just amazed at how far advanced she is. The last babies I had were larger (TAG's, Eclectus and Amazons) but at 6 weeks she is everywhere. I put her in a small cage for awhile everyday, and she climbs all over, and perches on a perch. Just hauls a leg up and climbs up there. And she plays with toys and is already eating pellets and small pieces of vegetables. She is going to be a handful I think ;)

Sandy

Last edited:

Lotsa Birds

Real Name
Sandy
AWWWW she looks so sweet(PROUD AUNTIE TANYA...BEAMING...)
And you should be..... since you got her for me, and took the pic's ;) I told my husband she was a baby robin that fell out of the nest. In Michigan, in the winter :lol:

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.