• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell Me About Your Pigeon/Dove! Good, Bad, and Ugly!

sweetybirb

Moving in
So I'm a newbie to the bird world that's contemplating various bird species and what might be right for me! I've been thinking about a cockatiel, conure, or a pigeon (particularly the King Pigeon). I think I'd like a cockatiel (still have plenty of time to figure this out), but I'd like to know more about pigeons and doves.

I've done online research on how to keep a pigeon, but it's surprisingly scarce to find much information on what pigeons are really like in terms of personality and what it's like being around them. Most description just say they're gentle bird, enjoy affection, and need a mate (you or preferably another pigeon).

Maybe the resources are scarce because pigeons aren't as popular as pets as they used to be?

Tell me what kind of pigeon or dove you have. What are the good, bad, and ugly about them?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
King pigeons are wonderful! Very large and a calm temperament. My friend has two rescue pigeons. They are very wonderful pets. They are charming, sweet and very affectionate.

I think pigeons are more popular than you might realise. I went to a local pigeon show before and I had NO idea how many people are in the pigeon community. I also met hundreds of different breeds. Pigeons have been domesticated for a very long time. There are so many different kinds.

King Pigeons | Beauty of Birds

I will say this next resource in fantastic, but I don't 100% agree with her opening statement. Rock pigeons have been domesticated so long that they don't know exactly where the wild ones came from, there are theories. In my opinion we are responsible to care for pigeons because us humans are the ones who brought them all around the world as a food resource...simply to abandon them to fend for themselves. Ever wonder why you see so few rock doves/pigeons in the "wilds". They are almost all in feral population in urban areas.. they are very dependent on us.
How to Care for a Rescued Pet Pigeon (for Newbies) |

I hope this link works for you :)

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I used to have tame pidgeons, there is something about seeing them fly high in the sky right before they dive down for your shoulders :heart: you can enjoy them as much as any parrot, i am sure of that :)

sweetybirb

Moving in
I know I haven't replied in weeks, but I've just been having a rough time at work and being pretty depressed cuz of it. :(

Thank you, guys, for the reply and resources!

I didn't mean to imply that pigeons weren't popular! I've seen a lot of videos of pigeons in pigeon shows, but I guess I struggled to find ones that were treated as normal day pets, so I guess they seemed more popular as show birds or racing birds. I wanted to know what they're like as regular house pets! I imagine pigeons may be more cuddly as they've been domesticated for many years to be okay with handling. From the few videos I've seen of them as house pets, they seem to be pretty calm and not quite as playful as parrots?

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I have a house pet pigeon and am happy to answer any of your questions.

My bird is an Old German Owl, a breed bred for tameness. She is extraordinarily sweet, loving and affectionate. She is VERY calm, and is not afraid of anything - I have never seen her spook or act nervous of any new thing she sees, and she is very curious. She accepted a harness without training and wears it without complaint, likes to go outside and for rides in the car. She is very bonded to me and wants to snuggle and preen me, and she follows me around, but she also entertains herself well if I shoo her away when I am busy. Loves to look out the window, and walk around the house - she only flies to move from one spot to another. She is very quiet too, but coos quietly when excited, usually when I pet her or when I come into the house after being away for a time.

She is out about 6 hours every day, but is happy in her cage and will go back often on her own to rest, eat etc. She has a 30 inch wide, 18 inch deep, 32 inch tall cage set up with two wooden shelves and one branch, with a little fleece pet bed on the top shelf which she sleeps in all night and goes home to nap in throughout the day. Diet for pigeons is very simple, just seed with a vitamin D supplement if they don't go outdoors, or a good pelleted diet. They can have a little bit of greens but mine only nibbles them, and too much causes wet droppings. Which on that tangent, are not very bad and usually small. They're biggest in the morning and usually released when the bird flies out of the cage, you can control mess by putting a newspaper under their favorite perch outside the room but the mess wipes up easy in a tissue and in my experience does not stick or stain.

They are better suited to be a single pet than a parrot if you are home enough as they will not scream, or pluck, but if you are not home most of each day they need a mate of their own kind. But just one, bonded to you, is an amazing pet. I have a female, and she is very easy to care for. I hear males can be more boisterous and bitey, especially when they first get to know you.

The only downside to a pigeon is dander and feathers. They are dusty birds, and during molt they make a mess, but nothing a vacuuming each day doesn't take care of.

sweetybirb

Moving in
Thanks, Serin! :)

I've noticed from a lot of pet pigeon videos, that I could find, that they're very calm birds and not as energetic as you'd expect from a parrot. They're sort of like old souls in a bird's body. I imagine them to be the closest to a lap bird out of all the species of birds (poultry or parrot) there can be since they've been breed to tolerate handling.

While them being very cuddly and affectionate is very appealing, I think I may still like a bit of a goofball, but I'm still not sure.

I've been finding myself sort of bonding with conures in parrot shops lately, and I'm thinking that if I get a bird, I may just fall for a conure. D: Only time will tell!

Still going to look into the pigeon rescue in my area though!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
She is gorgeous! I love the picture with the little canary! How cute are they :xflove:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
She is gorgeous!! I had a few of those, i never harnassed them, they would just fly a few rounds over the city and return home :)

Katrina

Checking out the neighborhood
Does anyone have a pet pigeon and a parrot? I have a Green Cheeked Conure. I would love to rescue a pigeon or two. If I kept the pigeons outside would they be more prone to diseases and parasites from wild birds or the environment? Basically I worry I could inadvertently bring in pathogens from outdoor birds/pigeons to my indoor parrot.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Thats a real possibility yes :)

It can work, you just have to be very careful. As wild pidgeons are usually a source for diseases, i just would not do it. Better safe then sorry :)

Gav

Strolling the yard
I seem rather late to this conversation, but pigeons can be absolutely wonderful but from my own experience, I agree that they need a lot of attention either from you, or another pigeon buddy.

I lived with a fantail in my apartment and she was an absolute sweety. However, because we were in an apartment, her cage was very small. She had one indoors for sleeping and outdoors if I needed to clean up, otherwise she was out and about every free minute I had. I left the door open and she was free to come in and go out as she pleased. She preferred to be inside where I was and she made sure to follow me to any room I went to.

She didn't care much for toys I offered her, but she was very obsessed with looking at all the decorations I had. I had to teach her where it was okay and wasn't okay to perch, and even then, she'd go where I didn't want when I looked away (little stinker had a don't tell me what to do attitude).

She became very attached and would coo incessantly if she were locked in her cage and I left the room. Very much like any parrot can be, the moment she heard me wake up, the noise would start. They are very quiet comparatively, but just as persistent. She hated all of the other pigeons, even the one she was raised with, so bonding her to anyone other than me was impossible.

I allowed her freedom outside all she wanted and she would never stray far and always returned when I called her. Sometimes extra coaxing would be needed, but eventually she'd always fly over to me at her own pace. If you allow them to free-fly, please keep an eye on them always. Do not leave them unattended. This was the mistake I made and how I lost her, when I left her outside and an eagle got her.

Give them as big of a cage as possible, they are large birds in small bodies, and never let them feel alone. Their hearts are much bigger than their bodies if you give them a chance~