• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Telfon

animalover

Jogging around the block
okay wait I have a question, so its only dangerous if it overheated right?? or is it just dangerous in general, because with pans that are unbranded in my house, I check the temp every second to make sure it doesn't overheat the pan

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
At normal cooking temperatures, Teflon is inert and stable. At temperatures above 570°F (300°C), the coating on nonstick cookware will start to break down, releasing toxic fumes into the air. These fumes are not healthy for people to breath, but they are lethal to birds even at very low concentrations. So if you or someone else accidentally burns a pan in your kitchen, your birds might all spontaneously die, even if they are in a different room or behind a closed door.

Self-cleaning ovens, certain kinds of heaters, and a few other products can have the same effect, but nonstick cookware is the most common source.

Safest practice is to not keep nonstick cookware in a bird-friendly home. Even if you are very careful, accidents happen. A common way this could happen is if a pan is forgotten on the stove. Obviously, that is a bad thing to do regardless, but made even worse if it is non-stick.

animalover

Jogging around the block
At normal cooking temperatures, Teflon is inert and stable. At temperatures above 570°F (300°C), the coating on nonstick cookware will start to break down, releasing toxic fumes into the air. These fumes are not healthy for people to breath, but they are lethal to birds even at very low concentrations. So if you or someone else accidentally burns a pan in your kitchen, your birds might all spontaneously die, even if they are in a different room or behind a closed door.

Self-cleaning ovens, certain kinds of heaters, and a few other products can have the same effect, but nonstick cookware is the most common source.

Safest practice is to not keep nonstick cookware in a bird-friendly home. Even if you are very careful, accidents happen. A common way this could happen is if a pan is forgotten on the stove. Obviously, that is a bad thing to do regardless, but made even worse if it is non-stick.
ah, okay, ive talked to my mom about the teflon and stuff, she did seem pretty concerned, now we have some appliances that I'm wondering about.

air fryers(I know ours has teflon but the highest temp is 200c, I know it can reach higher sometimes but we dont even use It that often, my mom is looking into getting a teflon free one)
ovens(can the ones with no self cleaning still contain teflon)
pressure cookers
electric kettles
microwaves?
toasters

yeah, for now the birds are safe upstairs(separated with glass door) away from the kitchen even if we use the appliances, hopefully we can replace the unsafe ones

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
From what I know toasters are unsafe. The rest I’m not sure

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
ah, okay, ive talked to my mom about the teflon and stuff, she did seem pretty concerned, now we have some appliances that I'm wondering about.

air fryers(I know ours has teflon but the highest temp is 200c, I know it can reach higher sometimes but we dont even use It that often, my mom is looking into getting a teflon free one)
ovens(can the ones with no self cleaning still contain teflon)
pressure cookers
electric kettles
microwaves?
toasters

yeah, for now the birds are safe upstairs(separated with glass door) away from the kitchen even if we use the appliances, hopefully we can replace the unsafe ones
Forgot to quote

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Air fryers with teflon HAVE killed birds.

Pressure cookers usually don't have it

Toasters can have teflon, but many don't.