• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Telfon

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Curious to know the lethal distance for telfon. Like if the telfon stuff are in the kitchen and a bird is say in another room with a closed door like 10m away from the kitchen would it be safe?
Or if there is just a closed door between the kitchen and the bird would it be safe?
Or if there was only a 10m distance between the bird and kitchen would that be safe?
And what if you don’t know if the pots and pans you have are made of telfon and for those who do have telfon stuff at home how do you cope?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
And what if you don’t know if the pots and pans you have are made of telfon
Then you buy new ones you know 100% are safe.

and for those who do have telfon stuff at home how do you cope?
By getting new pans without Teflon, such as ceramics

Or if there is just a closed door between the kitchen and the bird would it be safe?
Or if there was only a 10m distance between the bird and kitchen would that be safe?
Nope and nope

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've seen the results from a kitchen oven, out to an enclosed porch.
Distance was about 3/4 of a singlewide mobile home.
3 birds died. Smaller ones fell first, larger one fell a second later.

Thanksgiving, open windows with pan in oven. Got cold, windows were closed, birds fell shortly after that.

animalover

Jogging around the block
we have teflon products, birds upstairs kitchen downstairs, kitchen has door, there's also a glass door separating the stairs and upstairs, obviously I know not everyone has different limitations, your best option would be to replace the pans, to ones without teflon, if you cant, then id move them as far as possible from the kitchen, and not use the pans as often, or at all.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Teflon products were thrown out before my first bird came home.

It only takes one accident to kill your bird.

Is a life not worth the hassle and expense of replacing cookware?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've not really cooked at all since the boys came into the house, and what I do use are ceramic frying pans (which do need to be replaced). All my teflon is gathering dust and needs to be disposed of but I'm not sure how to do so properly. Is that a recycling thing? Or do I just feel guilty and throw them in the trash?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've not really cooked at all since the boys came into the house, and what I do use are ceramic frying pans (which do need to be replaced). All my teflon is gathering dust and needs to be disposed of but I'm not sure how to do so properly. Is that a recycling thing? Or do I just feel guilty and throw them in the trash?
I took mine to Goodwill. Or you could contact a women's shelter and see if they take them as donations

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I don't think I've ever owned Teflon pans, other ones work just as well.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Before I even got into the world of birds, I got rid of all of the teflon pans. I just don't feel comfortable taking a risk over a cooking pan that can be replaced, or a different one can be used in its place. Even though my birds are in a totally different room, I don't want to take any chances.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
No safety in the same house. My vet pointed out that as all the rooms share the same AC/heat there is no safety with PTFE (Teflon, is a trademark and is not the only name for the Non Stick coatings) in the house. I gave away or tossed all the non stick I had. Remember it's no just pots and pans. I gave away my Fry Baby, bread makers, popcorn machine, a Iron and board cover as all had PTFE.

I bought raw aluminum baking sheets at Walmart, Nordic Wear, got a used Cast Iron frying pan and Stainless Steel pots and pans.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
If there was something you knew was producing lethal levels of carbon monoxide in a room, would you chance figuring out how close you could get without feeling the effects? Would you shrug and go, "Okay, I can stand outside this door without passing out right away, so it's safe."

Of course not. You'd want that thing out of your house.

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
We have one Teflon pan my roommate brought to the apartment. It does not get anywhere near heat, we sometimes use it as a bowl to thaw out frozen fish. Stainless steel cookware only.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
While I'm cooking, mine never got to heat either (when I had them).
It's the moment you're distracted (phone call, child falling, etc) that they overheat and burn.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No Teflon in our house.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
How about joss sticks/incense and cigarette smoke then (or just other smoke if you’re not sure about these two)
Also I don’t have any birds in the house now but I do visit my avatar bird who faces joss sticks and cigarettes daily.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know that everyone has the answers you are seeking. Even with humans who we've done extensive research with cigarettes, we don't know all the answers.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If you want to know the "safe distance" for incense and cigarettes, I would say they are not safe to burn in the same house as a bird. Not just "same room" - smoke travels freely between connected indoor spaces. A closed door slows it down, but doesn't stop smoke. If you can smell it, then it is reaching your lungs and your bird's lungs.

We do not know all the dangers of cigarette smoke, but there is more than enough information out there to make an educated guess about the health risks. Even exposure to plain wood smoke is dangerous due to the high quantity of tiny airborne particles in smoke. This type of air pollution is associated with respiratory problems in humans and animals, as well as increased risk of heart attack or stroke, especially after prolonged or intense exposure.

Living in a smokey environment is likely to be especially harmful to birds because they have a very sensitive and highly efficient respiratory system, compared with mammals. They tend to react much earlier to airborne toxins and experience harm from pollutants at a lower level than would produce harm in humans. There is truth behind the old saying "like a canary in a coalmine".

On the upside, unlike Teflon, birds will not drop dead immediately from exposure to smoke. It might give them longterm health problems or shorten their lifespan, but they can live in a smokey house. It just isn't the best conditions for birds, even more than for the average animal. If it can be avoided, I think it should be.