• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teflon

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
How do I know if pans have Teflon I always close my birds in another area when frying pans are being used but I would really like to know

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Any non stick items for cooking are basically not safe. Teflon is also in toasters, coffee makers, popcorn poppers, heaters, hair dryers and oh my goodness the list goes on.
Anything you buy or use around your birds you want to be PTFE and PFOA free.

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
Any non stick items for cooking are basically not safe. Teflon is also in toasters, coffee makers, popcorn poppers, heaters, hair dryers and oh my goodness the list goes on.
Even hair dryers wow!

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
I assume ceramic stainless steel and cast iron are okay?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I believe you are correct however I am not absolutely positive so @Mizzely will be able to confirm their safety for you. I use SS and am happy with it so I have not really looked into the ceramic cookware. My son does use cast iron and I also believe that is perfectly safe to use around your birds.

They keep us healthy if we keep them healthy......imagine all the horrid and harmful things in the air at our homes if we did not learn about all these things for our birds lol.

Edit: and yes the amount of things that teflon is put in is absolutely amazing- frightening but amazing :)

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
I believe you are correct however I am not absolutely positive so @Mizzely will be able to confirm their safety for you. I use SS and am happy with it so I have not really looked into the ceramic cookware. My son does use cast iron and I also believe that is perfectly safe to use around your birds.

They keep us healthy if we keep them healthy......imagine all the horrid and harmful things in the air at our homes if we did not learn about all these things for our birds lol.
Lol you're right birds are basically pollution detecting machines

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I assume ceramic stainless steel and cast iron are okay?
Cast iron is fine, a lot of ceramic is but not all. It has to be both PTFE and PFOA free.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Even hair dryers wow!
Here´s a list of things to check:

Stainless steel pots and pans are great options :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Sticking with stainless steel cookware will remove any doubt in kitchen safety when cooking with pots and pans.

Now in the realm of air fryers, etc. The Ninja I have is free of both PTFE and PFOA Instant pots are safe!

Hair dryers is used in a bathroom nowhere near your birds you should be fine. I choose the ceramic kind.

When choosing things research the ones who list their safety info.