• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teflon Questions

shmog

Strolling the yard
Hi!!
I've got a TESY oil filled space heater that we've had for about 9 years now, and its getting a lot colder recently, but I don't know if it has Teflon or PTFE in it so I have a couple of questions :)
Because we've had it so long is it possible for the Teflon to be burned off (if it had any to begin with)? How far away is a safe distance to run it/would the bird still be affected by the supposed Teflon if it was across the room? And do older oil filled heaters usually contain Teflon at all??
I've tried contacting the company to no avail and nobody seems to have any info about this specific brand :depressed:

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
You shouldn't use Teflon anywhere in your house.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did a little looking around too and I'm not seeing anything conclusive either about Tesy. I don't know if the older units had it. My instinct tells me that it would not have to contain any teflon because it is an enclosed heating unit.

How far away is a safe distance to run it/would the bird still be affected by the supposed Teflon if it was across the room?
If teflon is over heated, there is not a safe distance within a contained air space

I just found this. This is what Google says:

Many space heaters have PTFE-coated elements, and the labeling is not always helpful. The best solution is to avoid hot-air heaters altogether and instead opt for an oil-filled heater. These heaters have no exposed elements, so there is no need for them to use PTFE in their construction.

shmog

Strolling the yard
You shouldn't use Teflon anywhere in your house.
We don't! At least last time I checked. I have only had my bird for about 4 years and the heater was last used before that :)

I did a little looking around too and I'm not seeing anything conclusive either about Tesy. I don't know if the older units had it. My instinct tells me that it would not have to contain any teflon because it is an enclosed heating unit.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
Many space heaters have PTFE-coated elements, and the labeling is not always helpful. The best solution is to avoid hot-air heaters altogether and instead opt for an oil-filled heater. These heaters have no exposed elements, so there is no need for them to use PTFE in their construction.
Oh!! I've come across similar information! My only worry is that my model is older... thank you though :) definitely reassuring

Aves

We don't! At least last time I checked. I have only had my bird for about 4 years and the heater was last used before that :)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Oh!! I've come across similar information! My only worry is that my model is older... thank you though :) definitely reassuring
That's good. Finding if things have Teflon is a difficult task.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would contact the manufacturer with the model number to confirm whether or not it contains PTFE/PFOA.

shmog

Strolling the yard
I would contact the manufacturer with the model number to confirm whether or not it contains PTFE/PFOA.
I've tried emailing them multiple times, but I'm yet to get a response :dead:

matcha

Meeting neighbors
Is there a number you could call? Much better to be on the safe side, glad you reached out to them!