• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tea's part of diet?

TAG-Aviary

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Angel
So I just recently (this morning) recieved a book: A Parrot's Fine Cuisine Cookbook & Nutritional Guide.
20200114_102632.jpg
I found ALOT of great information a very nice chart and a bunch of answers to my many questions. But one thing I never thought of of the use of tea's in a birds diet. Does anyone do this? If so where do you source your tea's from?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I use Polly's Natural Nature Boost by habit for all my birds. It started with a stressed bird and my vet recommended chamomile tea so I chose this blend. It's part of the routine now. I let it cold steep all day and they get it 2hrs before lights out. They like it enough to choose it over the straight water so I keep providing it.
It's just habit but I do see benefits - calmer birds, less infections and faster recovery from anything they do pick up.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
How about giving us the details - one tea bag (is it tea bags or loose tea) to how much water (room temperature?). Leave all day and then put in water cup at night? Is this what Holly and Angel get? Any regular water during the day or this what they drink all day? Thanks - just want to make sure I get it right.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How about giving us the details - one tea bag (is it tea bags or loose tea) to how much water (room temperature?). Leave all day and then put in water cup at night? Is this what Holly and Angel get? Any regular water during the day or this what they drink all day? Thanks - just want to make sure I get it right.
They have water available 24/7, so they have choice and they choose the tea when it's available. The tea itself comes loose in a bag in a box. I measure 1 teaspoon into 6ml water and leave it in the fridge all day. It can be made quickly with hot water but I've seen oils floating on top so I go cold. It gets strained with a ss tea strainer when I use it.
Remember, they must have access to fresh water all day. This is a supplement not a water replacement.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use 50/50 chamomile tea and water before and during car trips.

https://www.greywoodmanor.com/ sells teas for animals and is backed by some big names (Jason Crean being the biggest one).

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I second Greywood Manor's line of avian teas. I actually use one of their teas in one of my lines of freeze dried products.
Jason Crean has done wonders helping others transition their birds to healthier diets.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I second Greywood Manor's line of avian teas. I actually use one of their teas in one of my lines of freeze dried products.
Jason Crean has done wonders helping others transition their birds to healthier diets.

That's good to know. Which one? My tiels seem to like freeze dried better than fresh so I want to make it a daily thing for them- and also wanted to get Elvis started on some tea. He loves to drink water from a cup so I think I'll be able to get him to drink tea prettily easily. Because everything tastes better if momma is holding it for you.:rolleyes: