• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching 'stay' and going through hoops

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hello!

Has anyone taught their bird to 'stay' and go through hoops before?

Recently, Preeno has been getting quite clingy so there are times I struggle to get him to stay in his spot. It's not a problem if I'm in the room but when I need to go out to get something or I don't want him in the toilet.

I usually put him down and then have my hand right in front of him as I retreat backwards. Sometimes it works, sometimes he flies to me. Is 'stay' something you can even teach a bird? :laughing2:

Also I thought hoops could be fun for Preeno to learn as he's learnt a few tricks and is great with recall and flying off to a spot I point at. At the moment I have a small circular swing I've got him to walk through. What are the next steps to eventually have him fly through a hoop? I'll need to get a bigger hoop too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is 'stay' something you can even teach a bird? :laughing2:
Ive never seen it in 40 years. Good luck with that. :D

Goes against every fibre of a bird’s being. This is about the environment you provide. If it’s safe/secure it doesn’t matter if he “stays” somewhere. So the key is to (start) adapting your environment wherever your bird spends time to make it so.

clarousel

Goes against every fibre of a bird’s being. This is about the environment you provide. If it’s safe/secure it doesn’t matter if he “stays” somewhere. So the key is to (start) adapting your environment wherever your bird spends time to make it so.
Yeah agreed. It's just when I need to leave the room for a bit and he wants to follow me!

The rest of the home isn't exactly safe hence he stays in my room.

Reactions: Ali

logicullos

Meeting neighbors
I think it's possible but idk it doesnt feel very bird-like to stay still :lol: Birds are just... an energy ball:lol:

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
I guess you could, maybe some positive reinforcement when Preeno stays still and say “stay” while at it. I taught my budgies a couple tricks such as the “through the tunnel” and “through the hoop” trick. Which was quite simple and my budgies learned it in a matter of days.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I thought a stay to an animal was for a dog. Not even a cat would stay.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm sure a 'wait' command could be taught, but that'd be for an instant and never for long term.
I doubt they'd even think about the command once you were out of sight.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny

Isn't training a bird to remain on a bird stand or special perch a type of "stay"? Location based, but it does accomplish a similar goal.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Isn't training a bird to remain on a bird stand or special perch a type of "stay"? Location based, but it does accomplish a similar goal.
Have you ever trained a flighted bird to stay on a stand? (A clipped bird doesn't have any choice).

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine don't fly much, but will climb down or jump off any stand they feel like leaving!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When I want mine to stay somewhere I just give them a spray millet :lol:

Works perfectly! (Unless they knock it on the floor :rolleyes:)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't count the times I've said to Gigi "Why did you leave? What did I do? Come back!"

Gigi will fly to 2 spots when asked. I say "I want that bird right here!" as I tap the sofa arm and she flies there. I also can say after her bath "Do you want to be a shoulder girl?" and she flies there. But it's all up to her how long she stays. :)

clarousel

I've kinda dropped the stay idea :roflmao:

I do want to try the hoops though!
I guess you could, maybe some positive reinforcement when Preeno stays still and say “stay” while at it. I taught my budgies a couple tricks such as the “through the tunnel” and “through the hoop” trick. Which was quite simple and my budgies learned it in a matter of days.
How big/small of a hoop did you use?

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Btw it’s bigger than you’d think after looking at that photo. It looks small, but they fit in it perfectly with a lot of space remaining. It was originally a swing, and all I did was remove the metal hook-on since it was distracting for my birds. Lol :laughing2:

clarousel

I bought this from those toy packs on amazon, but they never really used it much
It is now used for training! :D
Oh wow looks so small! I'm assuming he just walk/hops through them?

I'm thinking of training hoop flying:wacky:

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Oh yes, they walk through the hoop. I’d say it could fit an Australian budgie or even an English budgie perfectly! By the way, the “through the tunnel” trick is basically when I arch my hand, and say the command. They instantly go through it, without hesitation.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
No way for "stay!"

My budgies became interested in the play gym because I acted like I didn't want them to go on it. Maybe you could try something like that for those moments?!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Hello!

Has anyone taught their bird to 'stay' and go through hoops before?
=============================================

I think you may have this teh wrong way round.

Its YOU that 'goes through hoops' to achieve the effect of the bird staying in place.

The bird stays in place because you give it something more interesting to do than simply follow you, lol

What?. You call it stay, I call it distraction.

Tomayto, tomato

clarousel

No way for "stay!"

My budgies became interested in the play gym because I acted like I didn't want them to go on it. Maybe you could try something like that for those moments?!
So I tried it out a few times repeating "stay" with my hand out to block eye contact with Preeno. Worked a hand full of times for a good few seconds! I don't know if he knew what was happening though :roflmao:

I haven't followed up on it but I think it'd be cool if he could stay on his perch before doing a recall!

The initial thing I mentioned before isn't so much of a problem now (yay!). I just have to put him somewhere a few times before he realises I'm leaving for a bit and am not interested in him talking into my ear!