• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching 'stay' and going through hoops

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hello!

Has anyone taught their bird to 'stay' and go through hoops before?
=============================================

I think you may have this teh wrong way round.

Its YOU that 'goes through hoops' to achieve the effect of the bird staying in place.

The bird stays in place because you give it something more interesting to do than simply follow you, lol

What?. You call it stay, I call it distraction.

Tomayto, tomato
Trust me I try. He'll be doing something and he sees me move away and comes at full speed :roflmao:

Sometimes he stays with it but looks at me as if I've betrayed him!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
My caiques will all STAY if I turn at the door and show them an open palm.

Its like having the ability to freeze time. Suddenly everything slooooooooooows doooooooooown and nobirdy moves.

a painting. Birds frozen in paint on a painted tree branch

Then after about .125 milliseconds, everything returns to normal space time, and the birds take off as one, like a fighter squadron on full alert

Thats my cue to run. RUN to the door

RUN you FOOL, its almost too late

clarousel

My caiques will all STAY if I turn at the door and show them an open palm.

Its like having the ability to freeze time. Suddenly everything slooooooooooows doooooooooown and nobirdy moves.

a painting. Birds frozed in paint on a painted tree branch

Then after about .125 milliseconds, everything returns to normal space time, and the birds take off as one, like a fighter squadron on full alert

Thats my cue to run. RUN to the door

RUN you FOOL, its almost too late
How many caiques do you have!

I wanted one for a while but realised I probably can't cope :roflmao:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I made a huge leap forward today. Four of them will play and sleep together. Even in the same nestbox!

But num Nums has to be removed in the morning as she will try to corner the massive food supply for herself

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
The way I like looking at "stay" is to make certain perches around the house more desirable than going anywhere else by doing a lot of the training on them. This usually puts Astro into a mood where she looks at me and I know she is waiting for cues. She does fly to me usually but for example if I am in the kitchen, I can easily have her "stay" on a perch by giving small treats with 2 minute intervals, which makes waiting a trick I guess. I have also taught her to fly to perch and then extended it to "fly to the perch and wait there" by increasing the time I deliver the treat after she has flown to the perch. You can then increase the distance from where you can cue Preeno to go to a perch. Of course, this makes certain situations managable but it is not a "dog ""stay"" like one hundred percent. :roflmao:

clarousel

The way I like looking at "stay" is to make certain perches around the house more desirable than going anywhere else by doing a lot of the training on them. This usually puts Astro into a mood where she looks at me and I know she is waiting for cues. She does fly to me usually but for example if I am in the kitchen, I can easily have her "stay" on a perch by giving small treats with 2 minute intervals, which makes waiting a trick I guess. I have also taught her to fly to perch and then extended it to "fly to the perch and wait there" by increasing the time I deliver the treat after she has flown to the perch. You can then increase the distance from where you can cue Preeno to go to a perch. Of course, this makes certain situations managable but it is not a "dog ""stay"" like one hundred percent. :roflmao:
How did you get Astro to stay for 2 mins on the perch! Preeno would sometimes wait if he sees me. If I step (literally one step out of sight) into the adjoining toilet he flies as fast as possible to find me :roflmao:

I think if he's dying for millet he can't wait on the perch either. If not he's able to wait a bit before I give the cue to come back. I'm trying to make more perch areas in my room but so far he's only comfortable with going to the one, which is my chair.

Forest

Strolling the yard
I sort of attempted to teach my GCC (Juniper) to stay once. She did not appreciate my efforts (I was just trying to step into another room for one second, not actually training). It went something like this... I put her on the perch, took a few steps away, and she flew to my shoulder. I put her back on the perch, took a few steps away, and she flew to my shoulder. Repeat this many, many more times and you get the idea. She successfully trained me to not try and train her to do that. As a consequence, I do most everything around the house with a little bird perched upon my shoulder (or atop my head, or dangling from the collar of my shirt...).

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yeah. Like you I'm half the problem. I like pottering about the house with a bird or two on my shoulder.

I only discourage the no anesthetic ear surgery. I'm looking at YOU Nik Nak.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
How did you get Astro to stay for 2 mins on the perch! Preeno would sometimes wait if he sees me. If I step (literally one step out of sight) into the adjoining toilet he flies as fast as possible to find me :roflmao:

I think if he's dying for millet he can't wait on the perch either. If not he's able to wait a bit before I give the cue to come back. I'm trying to make more perch areas in my room but so far he's only comfortable with going to the one, which is my chair.
I forgot to mentiom that keeping Astro on one perch while I'm moving around the house by giving her treats every 2 minutes or so is only when I'm still in sight. :D

If you are doing recall, then make it so that you only reward Preeno when you do call her and this will also make it more likely for birb to wait for your cue before leaving.

Astro and I live in constant training mode almost. There are treats everywhere around the house where I can just quickly go and grab.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I sort of attempted to teach my GCC (Juniper) to stay once. She did not appreciate my efforts (I was just trying to step into another room for one second, not actually training). It went something like this... I put her on the perch, took a few steps away, and she flew to my shoulder. I put her back on the perch, took a few steps away, and she flew to my shoulder. Repeat this many, many more times and you get the idea. She successfully trained me to not try and train her to do that. As a consequence, I do most everything around the house with a little bird perched upon my shoulder (or atop my head, or dangling from the collar of my shirt...).
This is also somewhat trainable by offering a treat, then taking a few steps back, clicking and rewarding for the wait and increasing the distance. I must say again that it is a lot less reliable and nowhere near a dog 'stay'. :p

clarousel

I forgot to mentiom that keeping Astro on one perch while I'm moving around the house by giving her treats every 2 minutes or so is only when I'm still in sight. :D

If you are doing recall, then make it so that you only reward Preeno when you do call her and this will also make it more likely for birb to wait for your cue before leaving.

Astro and I live in constant training mode almost. There are treats everywhere around the house where I can just quickly go and grab.
Yes! I wonder what it would be like in a home where Preeno can see me everywhere... stuck on my head all day :roflmao:

That's useful to have the treats easily available! I think I'll try the 'wait' just for fun. I've come to accept that if he wants to be clingy then oh well. Better than the opposite!