• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching Opie to play

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hold it in front of them by the handle. Waggle it. Pretend to eat the corner of top (turn sideways and make the yum sound). Then offer to hand to them by extending the thin handle part (easier for them to grab).

Isn't it amazing what we do for these feathered guys???

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I used to teach Lurch by wiggling whatever in front of him till he'd get mad and bite it. If it was food he'd get a taste, start making yummy noises and come back and ask nicely for more, toys he'd realize it was fun to attack and bite and start playing and attacking it.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Haha I tried wiggling and "eating" the little pop but Opie just stared at me. Will keep trying.
I went to give Oggie a grape this morning and saw that he had finally been chewing on the edge of his chock o block so thats good.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haha I tried wiggling and "eating" the little pop but Opie just stared at me. Will keep trying.
I went to give Oggie a grape this morning and saw that he had finally been chewing on the edge of his chock o block so thats good.
Yay! That's progress good job Oggie!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Yesterday was the first time I tried to train Opie or Oggie outside their cage with my boyfriend home. Usually if he is home we just train through the bars.

Did not go well! Oggie seemed nervous. Even though he likes my boyfriend almost as much as he likes me, he seemed really.. on alert? He would gladly touch the target stick if it wasn't too hard, but didn't even want the treats after.
And Opie was worse. He was so obsessed with calling to my boyfriend that he wouldn't look at me, let alone do anything else.

Ah well.
Today while boyfriend and dog are at the park, I was cleaning cages and foraging baskets (still untouched). I threw some extra foot toys and foraging toys into one of the many bath options that Opie refuses to use for bathing.

Next thing I know he's scrounging around in it!
IMG_20220109_152804396.jpg

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Small steps on their timeline :xflove:

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
He's doing so well!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Clueless !!

View attachment 400983

He held it and bit it for a good five minutes, that is a record
I know, isn't it amazing to watch???

Secret liked those so much I started buying the yum yums (no handle on those though). Sadly, Secret can't have those any more. She's limited to almonds. Too many sunflower seeds, peanuts and a bad diet in the days before she landed here.