• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Teaching Ollie to drink juice out of a shot glass

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thought it was a good idea to teach Ollie to drink a strongly flavoured juice that could hide future meds. This is Chico's tart cherry juice. Ollie was afraid of it to start with. He won't drink off a spoon or out of a syringe (for now) so gradually reducing the amount of juice in a shot glass. Have ordered some smaller shot glasses (half the size of this one). I thought then I might transition to a clear plastic spoon. He's at least loving the juice and drinking quite a bit.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny drinks Perrier water out of my wine glass...Puts her head in the glass & sips...She loves it! :rofl:
She gets her cornbread soaked in some tart cherry juice & now I bought organic pomegranate,,,Even Rio enjoys some & he's hard to please

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That is so cute. :heart:

I use syringes or spoons because I’m afraid to use glass, Burt likes to test the strength of every new item he is presented with or gets access to so glass has stayed off the list of items to use around him lol.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I use porcelain or ceramic ramekin/custard cups for all their small portion yummy treats...Thick, heavy & strong...
Still when I'm drinking some water Penny like a taste,,,
I don;t have any real large can opener beaks here...They are pretty gentle

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I recently started getting Elvis to drink from a glass for me. I also have syringes but haven't tried that yet.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All of my birds drink out of a glass of any size, coffee cup, etc.. Heck I've even had my Macaw drink out of a water bottle cap. If you want them to take things from a syringe then put water in it & let them see you drink it. If they see you do it, then most often they will too. As long as they know something is safe they'll usually try it. My Macaw had to take antibiotics via syringe. She didn't like them, so her reward was a nice drink of camomile tea after she took her antibiotic. She often grabs the glass or cup & pulls it back towards her, while I'm holding it, to keep drinking, more. I try to use a heavy glass, so it won't break. You could also use thick plastic toddler cups.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Jupiter loves canned fruit water (I avoid the ones packed in syrup). We eat canned fruit together with a spoon and she just wants the juice lol. Even with non canned fruit I swear she just squishes the juice out and flings the rest.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Interesting to see what all your birds drink out of. Ollie too is used to drinking juice out of a wine glass, but there is too much volume for meds which is why I am downsizing gradually. Hoping to eventually teach him to drink out of a syringe like Chico if necessary:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great idea. So sweet. Gigi will drink out of any container I offer. Before I take my first taste I shake it and offer my juice, broth or water.

Here's my caique but the juice is a little low. :)

1579633468377.jpeg

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thought it was a good idea to teach Ollie to drink a strongly flavoured juice that could hide future meds. This is Chico's tart cherry juice. Ollie was afraid of it to start with. He won't drink off a spoon or out of a syringe (for now) so gradually reducing the amount of juice in a shot glass. Have ordered some smaller shot glasses (half the size of this one). I thought then I might transition to a clear plastic spoon. He's at least loving the juice and drinking quite a bit.

Keep up the tempo, before you know it they'll drink out of different size glasses, and cups. Poppers ( my former bfa) started out afraid to drink from a glass, spoon, bowl or syringe.
Went baby steps, small glass, and used same glass for a while. After that she stepped up to other glasses and cups
then spoon, to syringe.
Good job!!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
All of my birds drink out of a glass of any size, coffee cup, etc.. Heck I've even had my Macaw drink out of a water bottle cap. If you want them to take things from a syringe then put water in it & let them see you drink it. If they see you do it, then most often they will too. As long as they know something is safe they'll usually try it. My Macaw had to take antibiotics via syringe. She didn't like them, so her reward was a nice drink of camomile tea after she took her antibiotic. She often grabs the glass or cup & pulls it back towards her, while I'm holding it, to keep drinking, more. I try to use a heavy glass, so it won't break. You could also use thick plastic toddler cups.
Exactly!!! If they see you do it, or drink it... Then yep they want some. And yes thick glass cups. Those wine glasses can be easily broke by the beak. I never use those.

katherinep

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Katherine Potter
Great idea. So sweet. Gigi will drink out of any container I offer. Before I take my first taste I shake it and offer my juice, broth or water.

Here's my caique but the juice is a little low. :)

View attachment 326256
Like camelotshadow said. its kinda dangerous for the birdie to try and reach the drink this way.. It can be drowned this way.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like camelotshadow said. its kinda dangerous for the birdie to try and reach the drink this way.. It can be drowned this way.
Yes I agree. In this case I was right there because I took the picture. She never had access to glasses except on kitchen table when we were all eating together. I won't post this picture again since it is concerning.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@Fuzzy My guys will drink out of most anything too. I like to give them their own tiny bowl instead of sharing germs with my glass, although they are allowed the glass if I didn't drink yet.
look for "small mis en place bowls" or "mini prep bowls" or "japanese dipping bowls"
I have some that are stainless steel that I love. they are out there!
"small reptile bowls" also is worth looking at. Actually I have 2 I use for dinners every night for my Hahns (not pictured). They spread the food out more, but they have more bowl-like ones that would be good for drinking. His drinking bowl is the blue reptile bowl below. He will sit on my knee and stare at it on the side table when he wants it.
here's a sample of what I have for drinking. The stainless steel is 5 cm across the top. I actually do use this one to mix some meds into food. I use a tiny ss salt spoon to mix in it.
IMG_6421 (2).JPG

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Chaos also loves to share my drinks. He though needs to stick that huge honking beak fully in the liquid. This makes me use super wide short glasses. I think they're some kind of alcohol glasses, but hey they work great for macaws too. ;)

He'll also use a plastic lid off of a bottle. I have to put very little liquid in it as he just slops it down without any thought. I'm always afraid if I fill it to full he'll drown himself!

My Zon thinks glasses are scary, and my Too also drinks anything offered in them.

Birds are like kids for the most part, if I have it, they want it.