• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching Iggy a new trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
So Iggy pretty much has step up down. (sorry I haven't updated in a bit about that) The only thing he has a problem with is stepping up from his cage. I don't know if that's because he is higher than me or what but maybe today I will try getting on a step ladder and asking him to step up. I also have to continue to use the clicker and reward him for stepping up which is fine. I'm sure eventually I won't have to use that. I stopped offering my hand to him though because he just gets distracted with my nails and hand and bites and investigates and won't step up.

So anyways, I am teaching him a new trick now. I'm teaching him to turn around in a circle. What he does is I say turn around and he follows my finger turning around. Once he's turned around completely I click the clicker and reward him with a sunflower seed. I don't know how long it's going to take for him to get the hang of it, though. I've only been doing this for two days. After this trick I think, then, will I attempt to harness train him again. I hope he doesn't freak out like last time. This time I won't put it over his head though. Not yet anyways.

Does any one have any tips on training birds to turn around in a circle?

I would like to teach him to wave but I don't know how to do that with out getting my fingers bitten off.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Thats great that your making progress! If your sure he is comfortable with the Step Up command, its totally safe to move on to a new trick. But take it slow, never move forward until your sure they are comfortable with the previous thing you taught them, otherwise you can cause confusion.

I am currently doing "Turn Around" with Penny and Pru. They had it down pat, but then I went on vacation, and it seems to have erased from thier memory.
But I used instructions from a book. When I needed a visual aid to help me understand, I seached it on You Tube.
Try this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-5brXY0Cpc

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
He already knew step up when he came to me he just...Wouldn't do it...He knows the command sometimes he just likes to do things his own way. Luckily now he's stepping up most of the time when he sees I've got a sunflower seed.

The video didn't work/ =( It says it is unavailable.

Status
Not open for further replies.