• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching Clipped Cockatiel to Fly

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
Hi everyone! The breeder that I got Prince from insisted that I got him clipped. I’m not a very experienced cockatiel owner, so, unknowingly, allowed him to clip Prince’s wings. As far as I know, he was able to fledge. The guy did say that he hasn’t been out of the cage since he was able to eat on his own, though. I’m wanting to let Prince be flighted as I know that it is overall better for the bird. He will most likely not be fully flighted again until August at the latest and April at the soonest. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to help him fly better in the future. He has previously flown to land on my head from the other side of the room. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Provide a safe place for him...cover windows and mirrors or apply decals so he does not try to fly through them. Keep toilet lids down, do not allow flight in a dangerous situation - for example - the kitchen if someone is cooking or in a room where a ceiling fan is on. If he was clipped "properly" he should still be able to glide and land safely. Years ago, when I did have my tiels clipped - some could still fly although more slowly.

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
I’m trying to encourage him to fly currently. If I present him with my finger, 9 times out of 10 he will fly and land successfully. Sometimes I feel as if I’m more scared than he is when he does this!

Cloud

Strolling the yard
Bond with him in the meantime. Teach him to step up first. Bait him with millet. Reward him with millet after he stepped up on your finger.

After he is comfortablely step up to you every time you ask, then put tiny distance between him and your finger. The goal is to jump toward your finger. You might have to bait him with millet again. Reward him every time he jumped on your finger. Keep doing that over and over. Wait for his flight feathers grow back. As his feathers are growing back, put more distance between him and your finger. Your goal is to just let him flap his wings, not flying. He is gaining confidence everytime he made it to your finger. He is working his muscles, too. Reward him, everytime he succeeds.

My cockatiel, Cloud, took 3 months to regrow all his flight feathers. On the other hand, my another cockatiel, Sky is taking her sweet time to grow her flight feathers. A few days ago, she just recently got all her flight feathers. It took her 10 months. Be very careful when you train him. Sometimes they could get panic attacks. The more he is bonded to you, the more confident he has, the more familiar to your place, he will get less and less panic attack. Be patient, and don't push him. It is not a race, take your sweet time. :D

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
He will step up 95% of the time (he know when I’m trying to get him back in his cage :laughing2:). He will let me pet and preen his hand. He also will happily perch on my hand while I’m doing work. I’m trying to clicker train him at the moment and maybe eventually convince him to wear a harness. He had flown to my finger, shoulder, and he and before so I am very excited!:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How are his wings now? Can you post a photo?

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
How are his wings now? Can you post a photo?
Is there a good way to take a picture of his wings? He isn’t comfortable being grabbed. Here a picture of his wings closed if that helps. image.jpg