• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching an old bird new tricks?

wizerdspel

Sitting on the front steps
Is it possible to teach an old bird new tricks? My family and I have a pet blue fronted amazon. Before my grandma moved into our home he belonged to her. She and my mom tell me that he is at the very least 35 years old. He is a bit aggressive all year round (not only spring), but I would like to try to train him not to bite us and to step up onto our hand. I have made an improvement with him by rewarding him with treats when he puts his head down for pets, so I wonder if I could teach him to step up. My mom says they stopped trying to train him after he stepped up onto my grandma's hand and bit her in the face. If it is possible, does anyone have any recommendations on how to train an aggressive bird to step up?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Its all in the patience and treats ..you sound like you started with being able to treat him I would get a perch and teach him to step up on that before trying your hands ..some times it just takes some time :strhng:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, definitely. And 35 really isn't that old for an Amazon. I would say more middle aged. I am actually going to see a 70 year old Amazon later today. Time and patience and treats. :) You might want to check out some training videos by people like Pamela Clarke or Barbara Heidenrich. They give some good advice.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very doable BUT I STRONGLY SUGGEST TEACHING TO STEP ONTO A "T" PERCH.

You can check out threads on the forum. I know Secret was around in 1978. Since I work with my hands, after she removed flesh.....I learned an alternative transfer method.

Teaching to step up on a transfer stick is the best thing for parrots in my opinion. When someone else cares for them, they can handle too.

Recently my daughter cared for Secret while I was gone. Secret escaped her cage..... she simply put the stick over and wha la, birdy back in cage.

Secret learned the wave and how to turn in a circle. She REFUSES to say "I love you". (Smart bird doesn't believe it)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Definitely worth a try. And just don't let it near your face.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

You can check out threads on the forum. I know Secret was around in 1978. Since I work with my hands, after she removed flesh.....I learned an alternative transfer method.

Teaching to step up on a transfer stick is the best thing for parrots in my opinion. When someone else cares for them, they can handle too.

Recently my daughter cared for Secret while I was gone. Secret escaped her cage..... she simply put the stick over and wha la, birdy back in cage.

Secret learned the wave and how to turn in a circle. She REFUSES to say "I love you". (Smart bird doesn't believe it)
Yes, a perch. You're right. I should have said that too. I kind of skimmed over the aggressive part.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, a perch. You're right. I should have said that too. I kind of skimmed over the aggressive part.
Nah, you just have love bugs in your house....

Those of us with amazons realize that while there may be love bugs amongst us (I really miss MC), could easily have an amazon like Secret who has a vicious Eagle attitude (but is in a smaller body).

wizerdspel

Sitting on the front steps

That actually reminds me of something. Sometimes when Paco escapes his cage, my dad is able to get him on his hand to put him back in. My dad said he wanted to see what would happen if he kept Paco on his had during one of those moments, but I don't know if that is a good idea. He usually escapes when he feels agitated or threatened.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Nah, you just have love bugs in your house....

Those of us with amazons realize that while there may be love bugs amongst us (I really miss MC), could easily have an amazon like Secret who has a vicious Eagle attitude (but is in a smaller body).
As Elvis pinches me because I am reading this and not paying attention to him. Lol