• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching a Lovebird to Talk or sing a song

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Hi guys I just got 2 new baby Lovebirds named Benji :sglb: and Wally!:vlb2: And I was wondering if I could ever teach them how to talk. Is it possible, if so how is it usually done? Thanks everyone!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No guarantee that any bird will ever talk or sing.... it is totally up to them and some seem much more interested in mimicry and others are happy to make their natural birdie noises.

I am not familiar with any of our members lovebirds talking to be honest, I just can not think of anyone mentioning it. I do not believe they are as well known for mimicry like some other birds seem to be.
@Zara, do any of your fluff butts talk or do you know of any members with lovies that do?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi William :)

As Shezbug said, you can´t really teach a bird to talk, all you can do is talk to them in the hopes they mimic it back.
Lovebirds are not known talkers but there are a few people who say their birds talk.
The only lovebird on AA that is a talker (as far as I know) is @Birdie Mama ´s Kiwi.

You may like this thread: Lovebirds talking

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Even that in the last few months has stopped, he is so hormonal he probably gives Sidney a run for his money! :faint: All he does is visits girlfriend #1 when he is in the cage, or girlfriend #2 when he is out of cage! No playing, not chatting, barely sits with us and his eating is about the same but he only regurgitates on those two.

So a few days ago when I washed again, I left #2 out but put #1 away to see how it would go. So far so good, he is active again, and couple days ago I saw him playing with his toys again, and now barely even visits #2 gf. a little bit nippy but could be coincidence.

I am hoping he starts to chat up again as I miss his peekaboo’s, and papa‘s, kiwi’s. i had some footage of it but it’s half an hour long and I can’t figure out how to shorten it so only the speaking parts are on It. Also have to make an account at you tube I guess to upload it, so that is one of my projects as it must be shared!

stay tuned, it will be on here eventually! :p

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Hi William :)

As Shezbug said, you can´t really teach a bird to talk, all you can do is talk to them in the hopes they mimic it back.
Lovebirds are not known talkers but there are a few people who say their birds talk.
The only lovebird on AA that is a talker (as far as I know) is @Birdie Mama ´s Kiwi.

You may like this thread: Lovebirds talking
Ok cool thanks! Well I have a bird named kiwi too! So hopefully its good luck haha! :lbpied2: ;)

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
My lovie is a talker. She only says a few things plus some other chatter that I cant quite make out. to be honest I didn't expect nor was I trying to get Chica to talk lol. What I would do is talk to them in a couple of short phrases in a distinct intonation and voice consistently. Same way you would with a baby to say mama if that makes sense

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
My Isla mimics the tones of "pretty bird" but she doesn't say the words, just the lilts. You never know, they might end up saying a couple of things! But they're definitely not known for it.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
There are birds ex. budgies, african greys that are known to talk and whistle. Lovebirds, are not known to talk in genral. You might be able to teach them a few words but training lovies to talk will be difficult espicially with two

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
My lovie is a talker. She only says a few things plus some other chatter that I cant quite make out. to be honest I didn't expect nor was I trying to get Chica to talk lol. What I would do is talk to them in a couple of short phrases in a distinct intonation and voice consistently. Same way you would with a baby to say mama if that makes sense
Ok Great! That makes sense. Thank you!