• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tattered feathers

SunnyBeak

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! First time posting here.

This is my first bird. My Sun conure is 2 yrs old and I've had her since she was 6 months. I have her on Zupreem but currently trying to switch her to Harrison's.
She has a very large cage and plenty of rope perches and safe toys.

Her feathers are completely frayed and I can't tell if she's plucking her chest. I noticed this about a week ago and I don't know if she's molting or plucking. It's been freaking me out. She's always talkative and extremely affectionate. She loves to cuddle.

The huge problem I have is her diet. She refuses to eat vegetables. I've tried blends, chops, mixing it with her pellets, eating them Infront of her, etc. She jumps at apples and carbs.
I don't know what to do anymore and I don't want her health to be affected.
I made an appointment with the vet, but I was hoping for some input here.

Thank you so much for reading.

20200123_232818.jpg 20200123_231537.jpg 20200123_231630.jpg 20200123_224128.jpg 20200123_232532.jpg 20200123_224137.jpg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
A lot of us struggle to get our birds to eat better. Heck, I take fruit as a victory! :)

It looks like your girl may be fussing with her chest feathers, but if she is molting it just might be irritating her. As for her other feathers, is she pretty rough-and-tumble? One of our goffins' feathers are a sight :o: but she is constantly in motion: anting, climbing, exploring, rolling on her back to ant some more.... It's a wonder she's got any left!

SunnyBeak

A lot of us struggle to get our birds to eat better. Heck, I take fruit as a victory! :)

It looks like your girl may be fussing with her chest feathers, but if she is molting it just might be irritating her. As for her other feathers, is she pretty rough-and-tumble? One of our goffins' feathers are a sight :o: but she is constantly in motion: anting, climbing, exploring, rolling on her back to ant some more.... It's a wonder she's got any left!
Thank you for replying, nice to meet you! :greet14:
She is a very playful girl! Your goffin sounds very energetic and exactly like my bird haha. She loves to roll around, play rough and fly around. Her favorite spot is cuddling under shirts. Maybe being under shirts all the time is rubbing against her feathers?
As for her chest, i'm worried.

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
Did this happen before you started switching over to Harrison's or after? Maybe it has something to do with the switch of pellets. The vet appointment is for sure a good idea to eliminate any health issues.

SunnyBeak

Hello!
It happened before. I've read a lot of positive talk with Harrison's over Zupreem, so I'm trying the switch to see if it will help in any way.