• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Target training

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
So most of you know that mojo is now nervous about my hands. He was sick about 2 months ago (or so I thought, he had apparently choked on a seed) but he was given antibiotics just in case from the AV. He took them like a good boy but now he won't let my hand get close to him to pet him or anything.

When I got him he was super tame, would let me scratch him on his swing and he's only just now 4 months old so I know I can fix it. I'm just not sure how, I've read target training is something I can do so looking into that.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Offering treats through the cage bars will help it may be you need to drop the treat into a bowl first and then move onto giving a treat through tbe cage bars and then when Mojo is out of the cage.
This might tame time but will create a positive experience and your hand.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Offering treats through the cage bars will help it may be you need to drop the treat into a bowl first and then move onto giving a treat through tbe cage bars and then when Mojo is out of the cage.
This might tame time but will create a positive experience and your hand.
Yep that's my go too

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
What really helped with my budgies was every time I brought them vegetables in the morning, I held the bowl while they were eating. First, I had my hand completely under the bowl and out of their sight. But after a while, I started to show part of my hand, and then I started putting my finger on the rim of the bowl, so that they actually had to stand on my finger to get at their food. I went really slowly, and if they seemed nervous, I went slower. But once they became really comfortable with that, they started stepping up no problem, even without the food.