• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Target training

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Does anyone have suggestions for target training for a bird who isn’t really food motivated? Javi doesn’t seem interested in any particular food I’ve found yet.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Does he like hanging out with you? I mean could getting a head scritch or a shoulder cuddle work? How old is Javi, again? If he’s as young as I seem to think he is, you may have to experiment with different treats. He may not know yet what he really likes....:shrug2:

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Does he like hanging out with you? I mean could getting a head scritch or a shoulder cuddle work? How old is Javi, again? If he’s as young as I seem to think he is, you may have to experiment with different treats. He may not know yet what he really likes....:shrug2:
He LOVES hanging out. I’ve been told he’s quite young, but honestly the previous owners could have told me anything.I’ll keep trying different treats. Maybe I’ll buy him some seeds even though I’m hesitant to buy them.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe I’ll buy him some seeds even though I’m hesitant to buy them.
There is nothing that motivates my two more than a sunflower seed, i think if you are offering them as training rewards you will be fine.
I give mine a seed mix in there foraging box as well, and use seed in various foraging toys.

Have you tried pieces of nut ? KiKi will do something for a piece of walnut, Mojo wouldnt entertain a piece though.

I wouldnt massively stress over offering a small amount of seed.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
There is nothing that motivates my two more than a sunflower seed, i think if you are offering them as training rewards you will be fine.
I give mine a seed mix in there foraging box as well, and use seed in various foraging toys.

Have you tried pieces of nut ? KiKi will do something for a piece of walnut, Mojo wouldnt entertain a piece though.

I wouldnt massively stress over offering a small amount of seed.
I’ve tried nuts and he’s not a fan. He won’t even entertain the idea of putting them in his mouth. It’s like he doesn’t know they’re food.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
What have your tried?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve tried nuts and he’s not a fan. He won’t even entertain the idea of putting them in his mouth. It’s like he doesn’t know they’re food.
Chop a walnut up throw in with his chop converted KiKi dont chop to small

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Eat one in front of him and then offer some. Mine are such suckers for "hooman" foods and liquids. It's just water in my glass, but it's so much better than that garbage I just freshened the water bowl with...:yapyap: No attempt at convincing is believed!!

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Eat one in front of him and then offer some. Mine are such suckers for "hooman" foods and liquids. It's just water in my glass, but it's so much better than that garbage I just freshened the water bowl with...:yapyap: No attempt at convincing is believed!!
Lol. Good idea.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Sorry @FeatheredM, I didn’t see your message. We’ve tried flowers, nuts, a large variety of fruits, and a large variety of veg.
Have you tried pumpkin seeds? I also use these treats for training(I found them at Walmart. ) I don't use some of the stuff in there like corn but the rest is great for training. I keep some of the stuff as a very special once in a while treat like the peanuts. 16534957717635899310917559096682.jpg

Attachments

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Have you tried pumpkin seeds? I also use these treats for training(I found them at Walmart. ) I don't use some of the stuff in there like corn but the rest is great for training. I keep some of the stuff as a very special once in a while treat like the peanuts. View attachment 407963
I’ll look for them

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I use pine nuts and sunflower seeds for training smaller pieces the better ;)

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I use pine nuts and sunflower seeds for training smaller pieces the better ;)
I tried pine nuts because Tui loves them, but he wasn’t interested. I might try them again though since he’s taken an interest in sunflower seeds.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
What about millet ? Mine do anything for millet neither of them knew what it was at first I hung a piece up in their cage once they tired it that was it red millet seems to be a fav they only get millet seeds in training or in foraging toys in their cages seems to work for us good luck I love when they learn new things so rewarding he’s gorgeous from ur profile pic

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
He won’t even entertain the idea of putting them in his mouth. It’s like he doesn’t know they’re food.
Sounds like Quarter... :rolleyes:
Since I got Q eating pellets, I can sometimes get him to train for seeds (only really the grains in his mix). I understand the no-food motivation.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
What about millet ? Mine do anything for millet neither of them knew what it was at first I hung a piece up in their cage once they tired it that was it red millet seems to be a fav they only get millet seeds in training or in foraging toys in their cages seems to work for us good luck I love when they learn new things so rewarding he’s gorgeous from ur profile pic
He likes millet. I'll try this. Thank you. :)