• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Target training older birds

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Any tips for training older birds to target? Winston and Emelia have been trained to do it, but I haven't been able to get the others to do it as they are scared of the stick. I try with Sunbeam and Snowflake to get them to touch my finger, but they don't always do it and they clicker makes them jump a bit. Should I try without the clicker and just my finger?

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Any tips for training older birds to target? Winston and Emelia have been trained to do it, but I haven't been able to get the others to do it as they are scared of the stick. I try with Sunbeam and Snowflake to get them to touch my finger, but they don't always do it and they clicker makes them jump a bit. Should I try without the clicker and just my finger?
Regarding the clicker I would recommend a quieter clicker, I like to use a pen that clicks which is a little softer. If they won’t touch the stick you should show them their treat (in my case millet) and then switch it with the stick so they can see that they will be getting a reward. That is how my older birds learnt. The first time I taught them I put them in their cage and put the treat through the bars but they had to jump to it so it wasn’t just right infront of them. Once they got comfortable I showed them the millet and them switched it with the stick and they touched it. After take it outside of the cage and hopefully they won’t be too jumpy. If they are still afraid of the stick try and make sure it is short around the width of your hand. Tell me how this goes and I will see if I can help you anymore.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
but I haven't been able to get the others to do it as they are scared of the stick. I try with Sunbeam and Snowflake to get them to touch my finger, but they don't always do it and they clicker makes them jump a bit. Should I try without the clicker and just my finger?
You may have to start by systematically desensitizing (in small steps) them to the stick. A clicker is not needed, a simple, "good" and treat works well.

Page 31

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I wouldn’t use the clicker if they are scared of it.Instead use something else like good girl/boy or good bird. Something that they won’t freak out over.