• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Target Training Advice

harpy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily Loren (Emmy)
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could share with me any advice, tips, tricks etc for target training my Cockatiel & Indian Ringneck. I know nothing about it but I want to give it a try for some extra enrichment to keep their minds busy!

Thank you
:pinklol3:

Attachments

scott199

Walking the driveway
Bird tricks on YouTube have a few good target training vids and tips.

mum a beginner/first time bird owner and I started a few days ago, so can’t really give you advice apart from the above

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't recommend BT or PW....

But the ones I do recommend are here. :)

nwu

Checking out the neighborhood
I watched Bird Tricks and Flock talk. Get a chopstick or any stick is fine. And you must get a clicker as it lets them know instantly if a behavior they did was correct. Birds are naturally curious, put the stick in their direction and apart from the initial weariness of the strange object upon seeing it for the first time, their natural curiosity will cause them to beak it and then you click. I got my baby parrot to target train in just one session. It is the easiest and most straightforward trick to teach your bird. Just try it, you will be surprised to see how quickly your parrot learns.