• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming

Birbnoob

Moving in
Real Name
Indra
Hello everyone, I currently am trying to tame 2 budgies. They are adults but for some reason they just don't trust me. I read about taming them outside of their cage (I tame 1 at a time) and it took so long to get him back in his cage cause he was a bit distrusting in me. What should I do? To tame I spend 10 mins 2 times a day trying to handfeed them millet and trying to get them to step up. I do this in their cage. I don't force them and if they get scared of my hand I back off a bit. He eats out of my hand but doesn't want to step up anymore (he used to before his former buddy died and before I had to take him to the vet. Can anyone give me some advice? I spend a lot of time talking to him and stuff.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Have you looked into target training or maybe trying to get him to step up on a small perch?

Birbnoob

Moving in
Real Name
Indra
To get him back into his cage, i got a perch with some millet attached, he stepped on it a few times but got scared and flew off, so I kept trying and eventually he stepped on it again and I could calmly put him back. I thought it would be the least scary method for him and I don't mind that it takes time. So he does step up on a perch. But I haven't tried clicker training him yet so I'll di some research on that! Thank you! I hope I can show him all I want to do to him is give him love and food .

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We do not "tame" birds. What we do is "earn" their trust and respect over time. Usually a long time. And thats only if we do not insist on certain behaviours. Once a bird has another of its own kind "you" become less valuable or wanted. This is perfectly natural. When this happens we keep working on the relationship but we take what they give us. Sometimes its a lot. Other times not so much.

Birbnoob

Moving in
Real Name
Indra
Thank you so much for replying! I just hope to achieve to do the step up so he can fly free and so getting him back in the cage won't be a stressfull situation for both of us. I want them to be happy birbs!