• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

taming two 2 months old cockatiels.

Hawer_

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Hawer Sarwat
I have two beautiful two months old cockatiels that I helped their parents raise by hand feeding them with the parents daily. I didn't spend much time with them after hand feeding, not more than 1-2 minutes in my hand talking to them. they step up when I push my finger against their chest they ate a bit of millet from my hands, but they are scared and get away from my hands sometimes. when I get them out they look scared and try to fly back to the cage (which they haven't mastered yet and hit stuff sometimes.luckily not too strong but I worry about it). how do I go about fully taming them and being able to pet and play with them? I leave the cage open sometimes but they won't move. their dad wasn't tame but always came to the front of the cage when I went there and would accept food from my hand but was a bit aggressive and would bite my finger ( not too strong for it to hurt.) i moved the parents into an aviary. can I also start taming the dad there? thank you:) { also posted on talk cockatiel.}

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have experience with babies, but if they are only 2 months old I think it's still too soon to be worrying about these things. By "moving the parents to an aviary" do you mean away from the chicks? If so, I imagine that might explain a lot?

@Zara will perhaps have an idea on working with babies.

(Oh and welcome to the forum!)
:welcomeavenue:

Hawer_

Real Name
Hawer Sarwat
I don't have experience with babies, but if they are only 2 months old I think it's still too soon to be worrying about these things. By "moving the parents to an aviary" do you mean away from the chicks? If so, I imagine that might explain a lot?

@Zara will perhaps have an idea on working with babies.

(Oh and welcome to the forum!)
:welcomeavenue:
Yes. About a week or so after them coming out of the nest, i moved them into another cage next to their parents. Then i moved the parents after around 2-3 days. I thought the dad might be picking on them. one of the babies is more tame than the other and will stay on my hand much longer than the other, she was also calmer when in the nest and hand feeding. i don’t feed them formula now, should i start again and feed them once a day? Will it help bonding? Thank you for your quick response!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
how do I go about fully taming them and being able to pet and play with them?
By spending time with the little ones, talking to them, offering treats and playing with toys with them you will slowly build trust.
Some birds never accept being stroked, just something to keep in mind.

i don’t feed them formula now, should i start again and feed them once a day?
When did you finish with the formula? Why? Did you just decide it was time, or was there some rejection?

Will it help bonding?
With young baby birds, interaction and being present are the things that help build a relationship the most.

Hawer_

Real Name
Hawer Sarwat
By spending time with the little ones, talking to them, offering treats and playing with toys with them you will slowly build trust.
Some birds never accept being stroked, just something to keep in mind.

When did you finish with the formula? Why? Did you just decide it was time, or was there some rejection?

With young baby birds, interaction and being present are the things that help build a relationship the most.
About the formula, they have started eating but i was planning to feed them once a day for some more time. Unfortunately i couldn’t get my hands on it and the birds seem fine without it. I will get it whenever it’s available though i haven’t hand fed them for the past week. the birds are in my room and i talk to them and get them out of the cage sometimes.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Unfortunately i couldn’t get my hands on it and the birds seem fine without it. I will get it whenever it’s available though i haven’t hand fed them for the past week
So they were force weaned. Have you been offering mashed veggies? Soaked pellets? On a spoon for them?

Gonna tag @finchly too

Reactions: Ali

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m worried about the early weaning and the possibility that they’re not getting enough to eat. When baby tiels Wean they’re usually 10 weeks old. At the beginning when they look like they’re eating, not much is being consumed. Can you weigh them every morning to be sure they’re not losing?

Anyway about taming. I’m sur e they like millet so hold small piece in your hand and let them eat it. each time you do this hold it closer to the other hand until they have to reach across your finger to eat it. Does that make sense?

You need to do this many times in a day. Don’t skip days. Finally they just step up to eat it. Say step up the moment it happens. Repeat, repeat.

It is easiest to work with one at a time.

Also if one flies to the floor that’s the perfect moment to put your finger in front they almost always step up.

Hawer_

Real Name
Hawer Sarwat
I’m worried about the early weaning and the possibility that they’re not getting enough to eat. When baby tiels Wean they’re usually 10 weeks old. At the beginning when they look like they’re eating, not much is being consumed. Can you weigh them every morning to be sure they’re not losing?

Anyway about taming. I’m sur e they like millet so hold small piece in your hand and let them eat it. each time you do this hold it closer to the other hand until they have to reach across your finger to eat it. Does that make sense?

You need to do this many times in a day. Don’t skip days. Finally they just step up to eat it. Say step up the moment it happens. Repeat, repeat.

It is easiest to work with one at a time.

Also if one flies to the floor that’s the perfect moment to put your finger in front they almost always step up.
thank you, i would have continued feeding if i could get any formula. i will try to get some tomorrow.

Hawer_

Real Name
Hawer Sarwat
So they were forced weaned. Have you been offering mashed veggies? Soaked pellets? On a spoon for them?
no, I haven't, but I will try to get them more formula tomorrow morning.

Gonna tag @finchly too

Pegggggg

Meeting neighbors
I didn't spend much time with them after hand feeding, not more than 1-2 minutes in my hand talking to them. .....
how do I go about fully taming them and being able to pet and play with them?
I have never hand-fed chicks yet... but i always handle the chicks every day... so they are used to me reaching in and picking them up out of the cage from day 1..... as they get older... i teach them to play ladders with my fingers (have them step up to alternating left and right hand pointer fingers to the 'step up' command... for a bit of millet reward.. always a favorite lol).. ive also found that letting them sit on the arm or back of the recliner next to me while i read or watch tv... or move a perch or the play area over onto my desk... so they can just kinda hang around me without any pressure.... that soon they are coming over to me and wanting to interact (walking across my keyboard and trying to nibble on my fingernails while i try to type is a good way of getting my attention lol) when they approach me... i play ladders with them or give a little scrunching on the head... then let them just hang out a bit longer.... no pressure... and then put them back in the cage.... by just hanging out with people.. they learn that not only are u not really scary... but u can be fun and give treats...

like others mentioned tho... every bird has its own personality... and want different levels of interaction.... some just really dont like being stroked at all... and others lean right in and close their eyes and suck up the attention lol

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good suggestions @Pegggggg

@Hawer_ you asked if hand feeding would help with bonding. It can, but it’s not necessary. Following some of the suggestions for spending time and working with them will work, if you have the time now to do it.