• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming & Training Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alekzandrian

Moving in
Real Name
Alekz
Hi, I am new on here and thought I would make an account since I have two Conures now; a Sun, who is a little over a year old, and a Blue Crown, which is a year and a half.
I do have a few questions about each of them.
Quinley, my Blue Crown, was re-homes because a lady here in my town did not have the time to handle her anymore. Quinley once knew how to step up on a perch, but has been ignored for so long that she is now hand shy. She is not aggressive, but when I have had to put her into her new cage or get her back into the cage she will bite if you grab her. Since she is only a year old, I have hope that one day she will become a sweet, socialized bird. I have read so many things lately I hardly know how to tame her, though. I have read about a "Power Pause" technique, and am interested in touch-training her. However, she will not even take a treat from me through the cage bars, as she is fearful of my hands. What would be the best way in getting her to take a treat from me? (She loves Sunflower seeds, so I picked them out separately and bagged them for her.)

Secondly, Sunshine, my Sun Conure, is very sweet and playful. I got him as a hand-fed baby last year as a Christmas present from my mother. He loves attention. But you could already guess; he screams every time I leave the room. Before, my mom would do anything to get him to be quiet, which was actually encouraging his behaviour. But, I moved him back into my room and they are no longer allowed to interact. When he screams I quietly walk into the room and cover him, and leave without so much as looking at him. This seems to make him scream less, but does not stop it entirely. Any suggestions on how I should get him to stop? He has plenty of toys, although is not always very interested in them. Last of all, he seems to be nervous when he steps up. I can pet him when he is running around on top of a perch or his cage, but when I try to get him a scratch on his cheek on my hand, he leans away as in fear. Sometimes he snaps at me, but does not bite. How could I make him more comfortable and trusting? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.