• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming the Teil Opinions welcome.

Revali

Walking the driveway
So I've had my little guy for about two months. So far he will eat seeds held with two fingers no problem. Now if I have my hand flat he is pretty cautious and will only lean in but will usually eat from it and if the seed is gone he will nip at my hand and maybe make a quick tiny scared sound or go away sound i'm not really sure? He does not seem to like my hands.
He likes to be out of his cage and when he takes off flying 95% of the time I can hold my hand up and he will land on my hand. Then I will usually go sit down with him on my hand but if I move it even a slight bit he will bite (not hard though) I've tried bouncing to correct it but he gets scared and fly's away. I was just hoping for any insights, goods, bad's and do's or don'ts anyone would like to share. Thanks all.
:tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3::tiel3:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sometimes tiels give a cautionary peck, but not a bite, to let you know that they don’t like something. He is just communicating and nervous, so bouncing your hand is just going to make him more fearful of you. Just sit as still as you can and maybe offer some millet with your other hand. Take everything at his pace and never force him to do anything. It sounds like he’s somewhat comfortable with you, but it hasn’t been that long yet. Just be patient and your relationship will grow as he learns to trust you. Bouncing your hand will break trust.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
You're making such good progress, I agree... he's not trying to be mean, he's just scared. My grandma's tiel is the same way. Just be slow and gentle to show him you mean no harm.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I read the same advice, that you should bounce your hand if your bird is biting but in actuality it will just show them your hand is unsteady and not a good place to be. Sometimes my gcc bites me after landing on my hand and I just move him to his perch calmly. I think mine is saying, hey this is boring or I want down but to lazy to do it himself.
But what you describe is exactly how my gcc was initially. Would bite my hand after giving him a treat and there was no more. Honestly what worked best for me, I started getting him on a stick with treats didn't even bother trying to get him on my hands Just spent lots of time being in the same room but not necessarily interacting. But I took him every where on this stick with me. One day I was sitting in my chair by his cage reading and he climbed on me, rubbed his head on my neck and let me pet him and ever after that I can touch him anytime I want! Just be patient. Your bird likes spending time with you and he will let you know when he is more comfortable with hands.

Revali

Walking the driveway
Sometimes tiels give a cautionary peck, but not a bite, to let you know that they don’t like something. He is just communicating and nervous, so bouncing your hand is just going to make him more fearful of you. Just sit as still as you can and maybe offer some millet with your other hand. Take everything at his pace and never force him to do anything. It sounds like he’s somewhat comfortable with you, but it hasn’t been that long yet. Just be patient and your relationship will grow as he learns to trust you. Bouncing your hand will break trust.
Thanks I was thinking maybe the bouncing was the wrong way to go I'd rather not bounce the little guy anyway. Oddly enough he doesn't see millet as food I think even if I break the little buds off.

Revali

Walking the driveway
I read the same advice, that you should bounce your hand if your bird is biting but in actuality it will just show them your hand is unsteady and not a good place to be. Sometimes my gcc bites me after landing on my hand and I just move him to his perch calmly. I think mine is saying, hey this is boring or I want down but to lazy to do it himself.
But what you describe is exactly how my gcc was initially. Would bite my hand after giving him a treat and there was no more. Honestly what worked best for me, I started getting him on a stick with treats didn't even bother trying to get him on my hands Just spent lots of time being in the same room but not necessarily interacting. But I took him every where on this stick with me. One day I was sitting in my chair by his cage reading and he climbed on me, rubbed his head on my neck and let me pet him and ever after that I can touch him anytime I want! Just be patient. Your bird likes spending time with you and he will let you know when he is more comfortable with hands.
Ya I'm just going to have to keep working with him. I wish my bird was as active as yours seems. He only kinda likes to play with two toys. The only thing he really likes to do is to try to pick buttons off my key board! Its too bad they don't make bird key board toys haha.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Ya I'm just going to have to keep working with him. I wish my bird was as active as yours seems. He only kinda likes to play with two toys. The only thing he really likes to do is to try to pick buttons off my key board! Its too bad they don't make bird key board toys haha.
No mine doesn't play with toys and is really skittish around new things. I see people playing peekaboo with blankets, tossing bottle caps but mine just likes to sit and chill lol.