• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming New Budgie

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Ok, I think I will wait until she is a little more comfortable because I doubt that if she doesn’t move around the cage when I am near, that she will exit the cage.
I think you are right and this is a smart move. Her color is beautiful.

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
At the current moment, Sunshine does not seem to be settled in. I have seen her eat from her food bowls, but as soon as she sees me she either flies away or freezes. Tomorrow I would have had her for 2 weeks. I know that this is not a long time, but I am worried that she is never going to become tame. Should I start offering her millets from my fingers every day? Or is it to soon? I’m sorry, I’m just at a lost on what to do. :sad1:

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
At the current moment, Sunshine does not seem to be settled in. I have seen her eat from her food bowls, but as soon as she sees me she either flies away or freezes. Tomorrow I would have had her for 2 weeks. I know that this is not a long time, but I am worried that she is never going to become tame. Should I start offering her millets from my fingers every day? Or is it to soon? I’m sorry, I’m just at a lost on what to do. :sad1:
does she by any chance have red eyes? if so i noticed with my own red eyed birds that they are more skittish then a black eyed bird due to their lack of sight

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Congrats on Sunshine, she is a beauty :heart: The most helpful tip I learned from this forum is always let it be her choice. Her choice if she wants to eat millet from your hand. Her choice if she wants to venture out of the cage etc... If she’s not yet ready, just continue making all your interactions with her positive. If she won’t eat the millet from your hand just yet, drop it in her bowl when you’re in view of her so she sees you doing it. This will help her start viewing you as a good thing (you= millet /treats will be a VERY good thing lol)
Good luck and have fun getting to know her! And welcome to the Avenue :grpwelcome:

Sunshine is a beauty, for sure! I was just at our Petsmart on Monday, and I fell in love with every budgie there!
Walked away with 100 pound weights on my legs, if you get my drift. MAN those little budgies are cute.
Made the mistake afterward of going to Petco (what the heck was I thinking?) NEARLY lost my stoic reserve there, but the budgie I would have taken home had a leg band on, which was a deal breaker for me. I asked at the store if they could remove it before it left the store, and the guy called another employee who said 'it would be against the law for them to do that'. Hmmmm.... I doubt that is true, but I can't prove otherwise. I just think they didn't feel comfortable doing that.

Everyone has GREAT socialization tips above, so you are doing great.
Budgies hull their seed, so many times the dishes will look full, but it's empty hulls, so add food daily, just in case you didn't know.
This is me EVERY time I go to a pet store :laugh: There was a beautiful little girl at Petco recently, we went back and visited her twice. I was *this close* to pulling the trigger. Two main reasons I didn’t in the end-#1. she was clipped. I know they’ll grow back and chances are she’ll be able to fly in the future, but I would feel bad having her with my 2 flighted birds for several months while they’re growing back. #2. I’ve heard 3 is definitely a crowd in the budgie world. I wouldn’t want anyone being left out. I could always get a 4th though, so he knows:p

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I am not an expert @BirdLover1 but I can share my experience with Tweetie so far. I've been reading up on threads here and asking questions. I got Tweetie at the end of Sept and she was very skittish, she still is "cautious". As soon as she would tolerate my hand being in the cage without flying around, I held a sprig of millet up to her using my thumb and forefinger. I had to hold it in the cage for a few seconds and then very very slowly move it over to her. That first time I put it so close it was touching her beak. She let it sit a few seconds, took a nibble then ate it. Does that tell you how skittish she was? I still work with her everyday. I now hold the millet between my thumb and second finger while holding out my forefinger as a perch. I can usually get her to put one foot on my finger to eat the millet and a couple of times she's put both feet on my finger for a few seconds. It is disheartening to read about all the people who have their budgies finger perching after two weeks. The experts here will tell you each bird has its own personality. I think some are brave little souls who will easily trust and bond with their human and some who may never want their human to touch them. I think my Tweetie is somewhere in the middle and I keep trying to read her signals. Keep at it and I hope you keep coming back here and posting you progress!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
2 weeks really isn't a very long time. Taming all the birds I have had through the years has averaged from 2 weeks to tame to 8 months. Just keep talking to her wherever you are in the house. If possible take her with you as you move through the house, chattering to her as if she has always lived with you. Let her see you touch your face with your fingers so she comes to understand that your hands are a part of you and pose no threat. Talk gently but with confidence as if she senses you are nervous she will be as well. If she startles tell her gently that she's ok and nobody will hurt her. Copy her chirp sounds and call back to her. Time and patience...lol. You'll get there.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
This is me EVERY time I go to a pet store :laugh: There was a beautiful little girl at Petco recently, we went back and visited her twice. I was *this close* to pulling the trigger. Two main reasons I didn’t in the end-#1. she was clipped. I know they’ll grow back and chances are she’ll be able to fly in the future, but I would feel bad having her with my 2 flighted birds for several months while they’re growing back. #2. I’ve heard 3 is definitely a crowd in the budgie world. I wouldn’t want anyone being left out. I could always get a 4th though, so he knows:p
I know - that's what I have heard about three being a crowd. In my mind I have the new third one (non existent as of yet) in a separate cage, and it bonds with ME! New imaginary bird gets flytime out of the cage with Fergus and Fiona if all is okay, but it is happy to be on my shoulder, hand, head, whatever, when it is out - HA... this might only happen in my DREAMS, right?! :rofl:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I know - that's what I have heard about three being a crowd. In my mind I have the new third one (non existent as of yet) in a separate cage, and it bonds with ME! New imaginary bird gets flytime out of the cage with Fergus and Fiona if all is okay, but it is happy to be on my shoulder, hand, head, whatever, when it is out - HA... this might only happen in my DREAMS, right?! :rofl:
That’s pretty much what my hubby says about our new imaginary bird :laugh: The 2 we have prefer me to him (to be fair, I am the one who does everything for them of course lol)
He wants to get his own and he’s not “letting those 2 be a bad influence on her” :rofl:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That’s pretty much what my hubby says about our new imaginary bird :laugh: The 2 we have prefer me to him (to be fair, I am the one who does everything for them of course lol)
He wants to get his own and he’s not “letting those 2 be a bad influence on her” :rofl:
Oh my gosh, I nearly spit out my coffee on that one! Love it - 'a bad influence'... OH that is priceless! Bless his heart, he wants a heart bird too!

Dorcas George

I have the exact same scenario in my head. My imaginary budgie is blue. Sigh.