• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming my lovebirds

Daniel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Daniel
I have two lovebirds in the same cage. I got them about three years ago and they are about 3 and a half years old. I didnt know much about lovebirds when I got them and that was a huge mistake from my side. I need help on how to tame them because I feel like Im giving them a bad life. I have left the cage door opened for hours and Im in or out of the room they wont leave. So I need someone that knows about lovebirds to please help me on how I can give them a good life and for them to have fun.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Daniel, Welcome to the Avenue :)

What cage do you have? (size)

They don´t need to be tame to be happy or have a good life. As long as you provide what they need (nutrition, enrichment, environment), they will find happiness, a bit like a zookeeper.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Having a pair makes them exponentially happier than being a single bird. Are they at all interested in you?

Vittror

Jogging around the block
Do you have a place for them to go outside the cage?
Like a playground or a perch with toys?

For example like this: trixie-speelplaats-natuurhout.jpg or this one: 1200x1111.jpg

If they don't have a fun place to go outside the cage they might like it better to just stay in their cage.

You could also put a perch outside their cage, near their cage door, so they have easier easier access to go outside the cage.

Last edited:

Daniel

Real Name
Daniel
Do you have a place for them to go outside the cage?
Like a playground or a perch with toys?

For example like this: View attachment 341803 or this one: View attachment 341804

If they don't have a fun place to go outside the cage they might like it better to just stay in their cage.

You could also put a perch outside their cage, near their cage door, so they have easier easier access to go outside the cage.
No I dont have one and I will try putting a perch outside ! Thank you

Daniel

Real Name
Daniel
Having a pair makes them exponentially happier than being a single bird. Are they at all interested in you?
Not really. They know Im there and they jump to the front of the cage most of the time but they dont really respond