• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming Gabriel- Sad Update Post #17

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear that

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Just made the connection between your two posts-- I am so, so sorry Catti! I am glad the vet reassured you, and I hope you can feel better knowing you gave lots of love and safety to a bird near the end of its life.

Catti

Meeting neighbors
The veterinarian just called me to make sure I was doing alright. I expressed my fears that Gabriel passed away in terror. She reassured me that Gabriel actually passed away peacefully. She had him in a quiet area where he could relax and recover from the blood draw, and he fell asleep and passed some time afterward. He was puffed up and content. That is a great relief and a huge weight off my chest. He was actually at peace in his last moments.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The veterinarian just called me to make sure I was doing alright. I expressed my fears that Gabriel passed away in terror. She reassured me that Gabriel actually passed away peacefully. She had him in a quiet area where he could relax and recover from the blood draw, and he fell asleep and passed some time afterward. He was puffed up and content. That is a great relief and a huge weight off my chest. He was actually at peace in his last moments.
Well that certainly was a good thing to know and it was awesome of her to call to check on you and fill you in on what actually happened.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:So Sorry but least he found a good home & love with you to live with care for the last few months of his life. Too bad it was not longer.

:sorrow:

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I'm so sorry to hear that. Fly high Gabriel!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gabriel passed away.

I took him to the vet this morning for a wellness check and to have his talons trimmed. The blood draw was too much for him. The veterinarians told me he was old and very sick, likely liver issues from years of neglect. They said it wasn't my fault at all and that I did everything right. It hurts to think his last few moments were terrifying for him. I was hesitant to take him to the vet because I had feared I would not be bringing him home.

This morning, he stepped up onto my hand for the very first time and hung out with me, outside of his cage, for a few minutes before we had to go.

I already miss him. Fly free, Gabriel. I love you very much, and I'm so sorry I could not give you more.
I’m so very sorry to read this,I just lost my 3 year old Green Cheek Conure a little over a month ago from her blood draw as well. She’d had it done twice over the years previously and never had an issue but sadly this last time she also passed away about 35 mins after her draw,my vet tried everything but nothing could help her. We both think as do my other vets that she had something going on internally though she showed no signs what so ever of issues and this was merely her yearly wellness exam. You did nothing wrong you gave him a wonderful time and love while he was with you and though the time was unfortunately short he knew he was loved :heart:

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry. You were so good for this very lucky bird and he knew he was loved.

toto2021

Meeting neighbors
I am so sorry for your loss... You did a wonderful job, giving the days you've had with him lots of love and energy!!! Sending hugs.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss.

Coelle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
I’m so sorry to hear about Gabriel’s passing. :sadhug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Catti

Meeting neighbors
I guess this will be the last update. I have kept some of Gabriel's feathers when he molted. As I do not wear jewelry, I thought the next best thing was to make a dreamcatcher with his feathers. I've actually never done it before, but I'm quite pleased with the result. When I retrieve Gabriel's urn, I plan to mix his ashes with some soil and grow a tree. I'm thinking mango.

This dreamcatcher will remain clipped to his cage until I either get rid of the cage or decide to adopt another bird.

IMG_2310.JPG

Attachments

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If your up to it when you've had enough time get another bird to love, it will be good for both of you. You would make a good bird parront and have more love to give to a deserving bird.