• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

taming budgies

animalover

Jogging around the block
so I was wondering, how long did it take for you guys to tame your budgies?
I have a budgie pair, and we've had them for more than a month, the only progress we made is getting them to step on our fingers/hands, but thats only when there's food on them. we recently separated them into different cages, and they seem more scared than before, I want to tame them so I can show them that theyre safe and they dont need to be alert at all times, but they do spread 1 wing and lift up their leg everytime we enter the room, I try to tame them at least once everyday, but its been getting harder with exams on the way, but I do change out their food and water, and sometimes feed them a millet. we did take them out before, but they only stayed near each other and are not comfortable when theyre not, what can I do?

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Where did you get them from? Why did you separate them?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would love to separate my budgie boys so that they could be trained one at a time. However, when I tried it, one of them was so desperate to get to his friend that I thought he would injure himself. So, I’m left with working with them together. It was suggested to me that I could target train them using two different colored target sticks. They could learn which stick was “theirs”. That way, I could begin to train one at a time.

animalover

Jogging around the block
I would love to separate my budgie boys so that they could be trained one at a time. However, when I tried it, one of them was so desperate to get to his friend that I thought he would injure himself. So, I’m left with working with them together. It was suggested to me that I could target train them using two different colored target sticks. They could learn which stick was “theirs”. That way, I could begin to train one at a time.
oh sorry should've mentioned that I separated them because one of them is sick and we didnt want the other one to get sick too, but we suspect they both are sick now

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You owe no one an apology for your decision to separate them :) I’m so sorry your babies are sick!

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
oh thank you, you're so kind :) but my vet actually recommended separating them haha
Aww sorry they are sick. I was just curious why you separated them... Also where did you get them from? A store or a breeder?

animalover

Jogging around the block
Aww sorry they are sick. I was just curious why you separated them... Also where did you get them from? A store or a breeder?
from a store sadly, but I thought it was a breeder until the day they arrived, sadly I got four birds from that store(long story), all of them appear to be sick, one died and one has a respiratory infection, ehilr the budgies are sick with we dont know yet :(