• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming a new zebra finch

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
I'm so happy today..
This afternoon I got my second zebra finch, a male, breeder said he's about 1.5 months old.
20200923_184657.jpg
Luckily I also hand raised my first zf, a white girl who is quite well bonded with me but she is starting to get independent.
20200923_152949.jpg
I let them out together in my bedroom, it was awkward at first. But I keep my movement gentle, my gaze averted, and still vocally beeps to my girl - which gets her reply, and he reply back in response. We got a good loud chat session.

Within a few hours he learns from my girl -who is hanging out on me as Im laying down- and made repeated attempts to fly onto me. And eventually he did land on my back and hop around on my shoulder. Tried taking a picture of it but he is still skittish. However I am very proud of him already ;)

To show even more comfort in his new livingspace, he actually sleeps all fluffed up near me! That, is so cute and I believe its a good positive reinforcement - showing nothing bad happens to him and he can relax.. he came in the cage on his own too (I help, by having food only inside)
20200923_162342.jpg
Thats him on top, fluffed up and napping.
Thanks to Gemmi from the forum, her tips on taming her canary really inspired me and I should move at his pace!

I got him as a mate for my white girl. And I know whats coming up ofc, she may choose him over me and that is fine by me. I don't need them to do tricks like parrots, but at least don't freak out when I'm around and they can hang on my shoulder. :)
I'll post more progress :) and I hope I can take photo of him on me soon

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So pretty!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is so cute! They're truly tiny. Are they smaller than canaries?