• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming a new budgie

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Yes, I am thinking about getting Sweetie a buddy once she gets more used to being with me. Luckily, I'm home all day except for an hour here or there to run to a meeting. I would love it if she bonds to me but if we end up being pals, that's okay also. I have found a small pet store not too far away. The owner breeds just a few budgies which she hand raises and tames. When its time to get Sweetie a buddy, I'll stop by her store.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
we aren't always around all day due to work and daily life.
This is so true and many people think that it is ok to keep a lone budgie who is alone for hours during the day. Don't get me wrong, you did the right thing. This particular bird needed others around. I'm just saying that is IS possible to keep a lone budgie and have it be happy. It just takes knowledge, time and the ability to read your particular budgie.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
It‘s a good thing! Wishing I could see broccoli face on Packer or Frost! Speaking of boys being easier to tame...ha! May I introduce you to Packer? Going on 7 months with me and still skittish!
Actually, now that you guys mention it...we got Loki (boy -handraised from a breeder) and he’s ok with eating from our hands etc but still won’t step up or come to us like Jo does. My little girl from Petsmart was much more “into” us from the beginning. I think it’s true they are all completely different and some are just more likely to see humans as flock. Lori, I know you and Sam have that special bond! I think Jo may have been happy as a lone budgie too if I could’ve been home more. I don’t think there’s one right answer for every budgie /family situation.

Back to you and Sweetie- have fun getting to know your little girl. Budgies are silly, sweet, amazing little beings :heart:

Last edited:

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
@Mybluebird
I'm so excited for you! I think that Sweetie will really appreciate a pal. I am sure that if you keep doing what you are doing, you will develop an incredible bond with Sweetie and her future buddy!

@Lori D Pert
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having a lone budgie unless I was home all day long to spend time with it. I am not saying that lone budgies can't be happy, I just think that a pal would make them even happier.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Funny story...tonight we went out for supper and had to put Sam in her bird room (yes, she has her own room with open cage and playgyms) and I turned the TV on for her (yep she likes TV). Well I didn't realize that it was on Canada's got talent, not a critique but Sam don't like it..lol. Well we got home and I called to her. Instead of the happy chirping I got the angry squawk. OOps, I left the wrong show on. Opened the door and got mowed over by an angry bird who blew past me and has just had ENOUGH of Canada's got Talent..thank you very much....she is barely talking to me.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Progress!!! I forgot who it was that told me sometimes you have to show your bird how to play with the toys. Sweetie has not played with anything until today. Yesterday I put my finger in her cage as usual but I tapped the bells hanging from her swing a few times and she cocked her head looking at me. Today as she was jumping around she reached up to one of the bells and hit it several times with her beak. Yeah!!!!! She's also getting more used to my finger. I can hold some millet between my thumb and middle finger and hold out my forefinger for her to step up. She stretches over my forefinger to get the millet. When I gently push on her belly with my forefinger, she steps away but doesn't fly. We'll get there!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Yayyyy! That is AWESOME! :cantwait:

It was also a bell toy with me and Jo and then we did the millet the same way. Sounds like you’ve found a pace that is working and I’m so happy to hear you two are bonding well! Please keep us posted and feel free to post pics of your progress, we LOVE those (hint hint):smuggrin:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
More progress today! I offered her the millet again today and she had to really stretch to get it. I had my forefinger between her and the millet. She reached down a "licked/nibbled" my finger a few times! Maybe tomorrow she'll put a foot on my finger. My baby likes her millet. Sorry, I'm not a good photographer.
7 weeks at home.jpg

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
When my baby gets ready to go to sleep for the night, she comes down to the front perch which is the second highest perch in her cage. It is right at the front. there is a clip there to hang veggies (she's still not eating them) and right behind her is a cup that I put oyster shells in. As she settles in shell duck down below the clip. Her cage is in the living room and I assume she sleeps there because she can see me - I'm usually watching TV or reading in a chair across the room from her. Once the sun goes completely down, I'll cover her cage on 3 sides and then when I turn in, I'll pull the cover down the front. She doesn't move to another perch all night. Is this weird? BTW - she's used to me taking pictures of her now. ;)
sleepy time.jpg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hi Anne - Your budgie is SO cute - and what you have described is perfectly normal in my experience for a budgie. When Fergus and Fiona first came, I made a diary of their daily adventures - mostly to look back and see how long it took for them to do certain things (like sit on my finger for millet, etc.) It REALLY takes some patience. Here's the diary link if you want to scan it. Fergus and Fiona Diary / Log of training and daily adventures beginning JUNE 2017

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Thanks! That'll be a good comparison to Sweetie's activities. I got her from Petsmart so I just guessed she was about 3 months old. I've had her for about 7 weeks. She's loosing down type feathers and I've seen 3 longer feathers at the bottom of her cage which leads me to think she's getting ready to go through her first molt. That occurs at 4 months? Maybe she was younger than 3 months when I got her. Any opinion?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When my baby gets ready to go to sleep for the night, she comes down to the front perch which is the second highest perch in her cage. It is right at the front. there is a clip there to hang veggies (she's still not eating them) and right behind her is a cup that I put oyster shells in. As she settles in shell duck down below the clip. Her cage is in the living room and I assume she sleeps there because she can see me - I'm usually watching TV or reading in a chair across the room from her. Once the sun goes completely down, I'll cover her cage on 3 sides and then when I turn in, I'll pull the cover down the front. She doesn't move to another perch all night. Is this weird? BTW - she's used to me taking pictures of her now. ;)
View attachment 320108
Your fid is absolutely darling! I am just going to weigh in a bit on nutrition. Most budgies seem to absolutely love TOPS pellets. Since sweety is not currently eating vegetables yet, my suggestion is to give her the very best nutrition possible. If I had to pick between Tops & Harrisons, there is no competition in my book, Tops would be the one.

As for the veggies, try all sorts in different cuts. I know many of the love bird owners are getting & using the smaller bullet style food processors, if memory recalls. They are using them to make small blended varied base chops for their birds & freezing them. Then buying a veggie during the week & adding it in. Maybe @Zara @DoubleTake or @Leih can advise on brand processors to look into.

The best thing we can do for our fids is give them a diet that is nutritionally sound. The only way to do this is to offer them a wide variety. It takes away many of our members birds way too early because prior to adoption they were fed crummy diets focused on cheap foods that had little to no nutrition. The better diet the longer these little souls will stay in our lives.

Welcome to AA!

:hug9:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
hmmmm, obviously I'm new at this!
I always try to remember to say - since budgies hull their food, it can look like their dish is full but it's only empty hulls! Scary!

More progress today! I offered her the millet again today and she had to really stretch to get it. I had my forefinger between her and the millet. She reached down a "licked/nibbled" my finger a few times! Maybe tomorrow she'll put a foot on my finger. My baby likes her millet. Sorry, I'm not a good photographer.
Yep, that's the way mine learned to get on my finger - they just couldn't S-T-R-E-T-C-H THAT far! :D
Fergus for a long time would only put ONE foot on my finger for what seemed like forever... it was as if his other foot was GLUED to that dang perch LOL!
You are making great progress!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
You are making wonderful progress. Sam was never a great millet lover but kale was irresistible to her. The breeder gave them kale so that is what I tempted her with. I would sit next to her cage and talk softly to her and once she started moving close to me then I introduced the magic kale. She jumped on my hand everytime for that stuff. Now if I want her to try anything I have to eat it. If I'm eating it then it better be good for budgies because I have to share it. She's a true little hen in that what's mine is hers...lol